We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Sossus dune lodge worth it (and our itinery)

Kungalv, Sweden
Level Contributor
334 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Is Sossus dune lodge worth it (and our itinery)

Hi, Thanks for all help so far, we booked our Namibia trip last week. One of the places we booked was Desert homestead at Sesriem. We've been thinking that maybe it would be better to stay in the park at Sossus dune lodge, so as to get to the dunes earlier in the morning, at least we thought so, until we heard the price, it's more than double as much. Is it worth it? We can afford it, but we're not made of money, and could perhaps use that money on improving another part of our trip. Heres our itinery, it's in Swedish, but I think you'll understand it anyway, where it says mil, thats our mileage for the day in Swedish miles (10km).

Any comment are welcome.

Best regards Neil

Day 0 Torsdag 20/Feb

Day 1 Fredag 21/Feb Anländer Windoek natt på Pension Moni

Day 2 Lördag 22/2 till Kalahari Anib lodge Gochas 36 mil

Day 3 Söndag 23/2 Kalahari Anib lodge Gochas

Day 4 Måndag 24/2 kör sedan till Oranjefloden Norotshama River Resort 47mil

Day 5 Tisdag 25/2 Norotshama River Resort. Leta efter halfmens

Day 6 Onsdag 26/2 Kör till Canon road house 10 mil

Day 7 Torsdag 27/2 besök Fish River Canyon

Day 8 Fredag 28/2 Eftermiddags promenad , natt på Alte Kalkofen lodge? 17 mil

Day 9 Lördag 1/Mars Kör till Sossusvlei, bo på Desert homestead 48 mil

Day 10 Söndag 2/3 Sossusvlei

Day 11 Måndag 3/3 Sossusvlei till Walvis bay, ev. Welwitschia på vägen 38 mil

Day 12 Tisdag 4/3 Kör till Huab lodge i Damaraland 42 mil

Day 13 Onsdag 5/3 Damaraland (petrified forest och welwitschia)

Day 14 l Torsdag 6/3 Huab lodge i Damaraland .en natt till

Day 15 l Fredag 7/3 Etosha NP Okaukejo

Day 16 Lördag 8/3 Onguma Bush camp 16 mil

Day 17 Söndag 9/3 Till Waterberg guest farm 32 mil

Day 18 Måndag 10/3 Waterberg

Day 19 Tisdag 11/3 Kör 280km to Windhoek , sedan direct till flygplatsen, flyg hem 1715 28 mil

Day 20 Hemma igen summa 286 mil

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Sossus dune lodge worth it (and our itinery)

In see you are staying in Etosha atOkaukejo camp. The rooms are clean, but the food is terrible. Also there were walking around a lot of greepy guys! No it was not nice there, and you cannot eat some were else.

Do you want to be one of the first at Dune 45?? We were not and it was no problem at all. Save your money on that. Is my idea.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Sossus dune lodge worth it (and our itinery)

It's crazy going to these places for just one night.

You will be arriving, eat, sleep and leave the next morning, with no chance to look round.

For example, I have been to Huab 3 times, and don't think I have explored it all yet.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Sossus dune lodge worth it (and our itinery)

I agree. This is much too rushed. You will not see most of the places you are going to visit. You will not appreciate or enjoy most of them. Cut out about 5-7 places and add a second night at what you have left.

We spent 15 days in country and saw 1/3 the places you did and still felt a little rushed at times. I fear you have really rushed things too much and don't appreciate the vast distances and travel times between locations. You will spend more time on the road than at some of the places in daylight. Remember you cannot drive at night.

I would certainly make some changes.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Sossus dune lodge worth it (and our itinery)

Yes we normally spend 2/3 nights in each place unless its a transit stop. I am a pretty impatient person (I confess) but do appreciate that Africa needs time unless you are just ticking boxes.

I have been to Sossus dune Lodge and it was quite good. The trip to dune 45 and The vleis was excellent although we were passed by maniacs on the road breaking all speed limits.

Okauquejo is worth it in spite of poor food , that water hole is a sight of a lifetime and deserves more than a day.

Kungalv, Sweden
Level Contributor
334 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Sossus dune lodge worth it (and our itinery)

Hi, Thanks for the input, I’m afraid it’s a bit late now, since we’ve now booked it all. Including Sossus dune lodge. It turned out only slightly more expensive then Desert homestead, but we think it’s worth it, after all it’s the dunes we’re there for , it means we can get out to the dunes very early and get better photo light.

About the intensive schedule, yes I’m afraid it’s true, but the only way we can shorten it is to cut out Etosha entirely, we’re botanists, animals are secondary, and we’ve seen a lot of them in South Africa, we’d like to see Cheetah and Meerkat, but if we don’t we can live with it. Much more tragic would be to miss halfmens and some of the other succulents in Fish river canyon, that’s the reason we planned our trip with the emphasis in the South. Btw. we are actually three nights at Huab, and two night around Etosha, it’s possible it looks worse than it is.

I like driving, and we’ve done this kind of road trip before in South Africa, we drive calmly and stop for plants and birds, it’s the journey that’s fun, not the arriving (I exaggerate, but we do know what we’re in for). We want to see as much of Namibia as possible in the limited time we have available, I doubt if we’ll ever get another chance.

We’re going in Feb/March because we hope that if were lucky with rain, there might be plenty of flowers. If there is any botanical hot-spot we’ve missed, please tell us, since we can change bookings a little.

Best regards Neil

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Sossus dune lodge worth it (and our itinery)

I think that Sossus Dune Lodge is worth the money off season, which is when you are travelling. Then I think it is actually quite a bargain.

In peak season I do think it is pretty expensive, particularly for families, but in February you would be mad not to stay inside the park if you have the chance.

Also I am not a massive fan of NWR guided excursions.....however, their guided sunrise excursion to Sossusvlei and Deadvlei is really very good, so I recommend that highly.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Sossus dune lodge worth it (and our itinery)

hi neil

just to add a little on nice Botanical spots for you, please see below:

Giant Welwitschias - Messum river north of Cape Cross

lichen fields between Swakopmund and Cape Cross

lithops around the swakopmund area.

off course at sossusvlei you will see the Nara bush.

Kungalv, Sweden
Level Contributor
334 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Sossus dune lodge worth it (and our itinery)

Thanks Gemma, That explains why the price difference was so little. When we first asked our travel-agent about this lodge, it was terribly expensive. But after some soul-searching (and pocket-searching) we decided to do it anyway, but in the end it wasn’t too bad, I think their preliminary quote was for high-season. Like you say in low-season it’s a no-brainer. Thanks for the tip about the excursion, it might be worth going with them instead of struggling through the sand on our own.

/Neil

Kungalv, Sweden
Level Contributor
334 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Sossus dune lodge worth it (and our itinery)

Thanks a lot Chris, we were thinking of driving on a day trip from Huab lodge to the Messum crater to see big Welwitschias is that roughly the same place you mean? Do you think we could go up to the top of the Brandberg on the same day? I found a website about Lithops, and the Brandberg seems to be a good place. We’re also going to Alte Kalkofen because they have a Lithops garden,, and I was thinking that perhaps the owners know some good places to see them in the wild.

/Neil

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Sossus dune lodge worth it (and our itinery)

im sorry but you cannot do the Messum River from Huab in 1 day, the roads going to this spot is almost off road driving, from the lodge to this spot is around 300km and some of the road is very bad, doable in maybe 6-7 hours, also not Brandberg, its just to far.