We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sussosvlei?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sussosvlei?

Hi All

My boyfriend and I are going to Namibia for six nights over New Years. Our current plan is just to go to Swakopmund and explore Walvis Bay and Cape Cross from there as well. I don't think we'd be bored spending 6 days there, as there are a lot of things we'd like to do, however, we're considering spending two days going to see the Sussosvlei instead. Our main concern is that we don't have a 4x4. Is it advisable to drive from the Sussosvlei to Swakopmund without a 4x4 at the moment? We would also then spend New Years in the Sussosvlei which will then be quite relaxed... But I can't find much going on in Swakopmund to compare it to?

Thanks!

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sussosvlei?

Hi, that drive would be fine (taking it slowly) as long as there hasn't been much rain. But if we do get the rains that we so desperately need this season, then I wouldn't advise driving that route in a sedan as the gravel roads can get quite slippery, and some of the usually dry rivers may run briefly. So that extra ground clearance that a 4x4 gives you becomes invaluable. A good 2x4 SUV would also be fine, it's more the ground clearance that you need than the 4x4 facility.

If you haven't already booked accommodation in Swakopmund, do it quickly as Christmas & New Year are the busiest times there!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sussosvlei?

I just recently returned from Namibia and these are my thoughts. Get to Sossusvlei no matter how you have to get there. Spend the night and go out to the dunes before sunrise to watch the day begin in the most spectacular way. It is unlike anywhere on earth, unlike Swakopmund and Walvis Bay which seemed to me like any other "Europeanized" coastal towns.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sussosvlei?

Here some photos from Namibia, including Sossusvlei - absolutely stunning! Regular car should be OK, just don't get stuck on dunes!

…wordpress.com/galerie/…jp-carousel-302

Save Reply
4. Re: Sussosvlei?

Hi,

I actually live in Namibia and travel to sossusvlei and swakop alot. Driving to sossusvlei from swakop is possible but as some else said - be careful if there has been lots of rain. Speak to the guys at namib I in swakop before leaving they should be able to advise. Only draw back with sossusvlei in December is the heat. It becomes properly hot. 40 degrees plus and that is in the shade. Otherwise it is absolutely beautiful.

5. Re: Sussosvlei?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Sossusvlei