We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping overnight in Sossusvlei?

ShAGA518
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Camping overnight in Sossusvlei?

Is it legal to camp overnight 3-4km outside Sossusvlei in the desert given you have enough water and food for your stay? thanks in advice for any help,

S

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping overnight in Sossusvlei?

Short answer...no.

You cannot do that, you have to exit the park at sunset.

The nearest campsite is Sesriem Campsite.

ShAGA518
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping overnight in Sossusvlei?

what is the long answer?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping overnight in Sossusvlei?

Long answer.... no. It is a national park.

You have to exit, you cannot camp inside.

Sesriem Campsite is the nearest and you can stay there and enter for sunrise.

Do people try and break the rules...yes. I have met a few and essentially we pretty much consider them ********. Follow the rules. Don't make people have to come look for you.

Rest assured if you sleep in the park someone will be in trouble. You might get a telling off but you will probably have got someone else fired in the process.

Also...it gets very cold at night....are you planning on making a fire!!!!

Anyway...long answer lecture over.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 22:04
ShAGA518
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping overnight in Sossusvlei?

does the park require you to let them know when you exit is that why they get in trouble?

I am not trying to instigate but i have been in alot of deserts and im trying to figure out the infrastructure of the namib.

ShAGA518
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping overnight in Sossusvlei?

_

Edited: 25 April 2014, 22:18
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping overnight in Sossusvlei?

You need a permit to enter the park.

They check you in and out.

You cannot overnight in the park.

You can choose to break the rules and not exit the park and join that special group of people that think they are above the rules....that their little campfire doesn't matter, but it does, your friends may have slept at Sossusvlei but they were breaking the rules.

If everybody does that then where does it end?

You might think I am getting a bit worked up over a little subject....but if people can't even keep these simple park rules then what hope is there.....it is all about their experience not the implications.

It is a beautiful place. Visit, stick to the rules so everyone can enjoy, because you might just have a nice sleepout in the dunes but trust me, others will treat it as a party place if they can do it.

ShAGA518
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping overnight in Sossusvlei?

im not interested in breaking any rules i understand you suspicions.

Is the gate in sesriem because sossus dune lodge and Kulala Desert Lodge look to be inside the gate, is that true or am i wrong?

Edited: 25 April 2014, 23:25
ShAGA518
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping overnight in Sossusvlei?

in an earlier post you mentioned: "This is only possible if you stay at Sossus Dune Lodge or you camp at Sesriem as you are inside the gates."

is it possible to camp inside the gates with proper permission/permits?

thanks for your help so far.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 04:02
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping overnight in Sossusvlei?

Sossus Dune Lodge and Sesriem Campsite are inside the main park gates.

You still have to return to the camp to overnight. You can't just sleep out in the desert.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,265 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camping overnight in Sossusvlei?

It is obvious that the OP needs a very long answer, maybe done by several posters. Here is my part.

Sossusvlei is part of Namib-Naukluft National Park of Namibia. It covers roughly 32.000 km2. Is famous for its high red dunes, and a small patch of a flat land covered with dead trees named Deadvlei. Considered as one of the most visited places in Namibia. Although complete Sossusvlei is huge, there is one road that goes to dunes like Big Daddy and Dune 45 and of course, to Deadvlei. Just by looking at the Google Maps you will be able to see how enormous the Namib-Naukluft NP is, and the general idea about Sossusvlei.

As in many other countries in the world, camping inside the National Park is possible only at dedicated camping sides. In Namibia, these can be run either by the government (company is called NWR) either by privates. there are many private concessions all over Namibia, both inside and outside the boundaries of NPs.

Camping inside the gates to Sossusvlei (so to speak camping inside the Sossusvlei yet still quite far from where all the folks are going) is possible at (to my limited knowledge):

Sesriem camp http://www.nwrnamibia.com/sesriem.htm .

Desert Camp http://www.desertcamp.com

There are couple of private Reserves with lodges, like Sossus Dune Lodge, or Kulala Wilderness Camp; but they are on the luxury side, probably not what you are looking for.

Just to add a pice of my "wisdom": as a visitor to a foreign country I do not only represent myself, as a person, but also my country. Wherever I go, my first "duty" is to respect the visiting country laws, rules and habits. If by chance upon researching I found something that I could simply not abide to, then I chose not to visit that particular country. So, showing respect is more important than "seeing" or "experiencing" or whatever.

Do as repeated above by Gemma, and what will probably be repeated by others. Do visit Namibia, do enjoy it but above all, do respect it