We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical Help at Blue Lagoon Resort

Sydney
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Medical Help at Blue Lagoon Resort

I am considering the Blue Lagoon Resort for our family - 2 Adults & 2 Children. My only concern if any of our family becomes sick, ( touch wood) would it be difficult to get medical help on the island?

OZMIK

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical Help at Blue Lagoon Resort

Not difficult. This is the reply I received to a query I passed on to the manager earlier this year. I know the managers (and will be there myself shortly). I am confident that there would be no problem.

"This place is fine for young kids and medical emergency. It is actually better than Octopus as we have both sea-plane and helicopter availability if required.

Yes there is a nurse and doctor on the island just around the corner in Nacula village.

Yasawa flyer runs every day and in case of emergency we have both the Amberley and a new boat called Magic that can make a run a night if desperately required.

Tell them just to call the resort and ask for Chris and I will give them the actual truth and then they can decide."

Sydney
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical Help at Blue Lagoon Resort

Thank you so much for your advice. I am happy to know there is a doctor if required. This gives me a peace of mind to take our kids. OZMIK

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,089 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical Help at Blue Lagoon Resort

I know that nearby Nanuya Islalnd Resorthave a very fast speedboat that acts as an ambulance when required to get ill folks, guests and locals back to Lautoka quickly in an emergency.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical Help at Blue Lagoon Resort

I got very sick at Nanuya, a massive asthma attack, and never suffered from asthma before. Lance arranged a medical consultation, all the tablets, and puffers (from a staying guest) I needed, and also a Nebuliser and at no cost.

I could have gone home in a box save for the excellent help I received. No doubt, a hefty donation to the staff christmas fund was made, similarly also to the local family that provided the Nebuliser.

BLBR is very close to NIR, and I would imagine, wherever you got sick, help would not be very far away. Island medicine does not have any borders.

Greville

Edited: 07 September 2010, 04:12
Sydney
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical Help at Blue Lagoon Resort

Thanks Greville. This is timely advice as our son just had his first big asthma attack last week. We were at home in Sydney & got help quickly.

It's good to be aware about the availability of medical help especially in a remote island in Fiji.

OZMIK

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical Help at Blue Lagoon Resort

Hi Ozmik,

I will, as a return help to NIR and surrounding islands, take a few extra puffers and stuff, to leave there for anyone else that may need help in the future. Someone somewhere has to pay, so whatever help I can provide, I am sure will be appreciated. Going back to NIR in April.

Greville

Sydney
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical Help at Blue Lagoon Resort

Good on you Greville. It's a great idea. Have a great trip in April.

OZMIK

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical Help at Blue Lagoon Resort

Hi - we were at Nacula village in August and visited the medical centre and met the nurse there, it is only a quick boat ride from Oarsman's and Blue Lagoon Resort :)

9. Re: Medical Help at Blue Lagoon Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Nacula Island