We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Boat Hire at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Small Boat Hire at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

Is it possible to hire a small boat at BLBR for a day to go to the Blue Lagoon, Turtle Island, Nanuya Island or other places close by for photo taking, sight seeing and checking out the other resorts?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small Boat Hire at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

They do take guests on a tour around neighbouring islands and snorkelling spots. Not sure about visiting other resorts. If you wanted to go without other guests they would probably organise a private charter in a resort boat - send them an email to check.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small Boat Hire at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

Joes water taxi will take you at a cost. You can island hop to nearby resorts, . We used it while staying at Nanuya and found it cost effective, used it to go to the caves too and the boat guy took us to a cave not normally visited. You can't go to Turtle Island as it is private and don't allow anyone ashore uninvited. Well worth going to Nanuya resort for lunch or dinner. Excellent food, Well worth doing. This resort is on Blue Lagoon Beach on the Blue Lagoon of movie fame.

Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small Boat Hire at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

Thanks for the responses. I am happy that I will be able to hire a boat to go to Nanuya Island and to the Blue lagoon. This will be my second trip to Fiji and I wanted to get a feel for the Yasawa Islands and not just stay at the resort. l plan to visit the Sawailau caves and will talk to the people at Joe's taxi to compare their costs to the resorts costs for their boat to the caves. I believe the resort charges around 50 dollars per person. It might even be worth paying more to Joe's if they offer a unique cave tour.

Perhaps I can find others vacationers that want to explore nearby islands and share a boat. Only 3 more weeks till I leave for Fiji. Woohoo!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small Boat Hire at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

It is worth knowing that BLBR leave early for the Sawa-i-Lau caves and always get there before other boats arrive. That means you are not sharing the experience with several other boat loads of people.

Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small Boat Hire at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

Thanks for the information. I think I will take the resorts boat to the caves. I'll also see what the resort has in the way of tours to neighboring islands and book with them or Joe's Water Taxi for tours.

The weather is rather cold where I am at in Southern Oregon in the US. I cant wait to warm up and walk on a white sand beach again.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small Boat Hire at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

If you are going to have dinner at Nanuya, it would be polite to arrange ahead of time so as they can ensure catering; typically requested as not later than 4pm. Lunch not so a problem.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small Boat Hire at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

Hi Greville

Is this a new thing at Nanuya re pre ordering dinner. We never had to but is two years since we have been. Quite a few folks used to come over from other resorts for dinner.

Barb

Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small Boat Hire at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

So how do water taxis work? I assume I can take one taxi to Nanuya, stay for part of the day, have dinner and catch another different taxi back to BLBR. Is that right?

I plan to go to Nanuya for dinner based on your recommendation. I have read that the meals at BLBR are good too. I hope so since the meal plan is mandatory.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Small Boat Hire at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

Your resort will arrange the taxi for you, even call Nanuya ahead of time too, to make your reservation. You should pre-book your return transport with an approximate time. Nanuya can call up the water-taxi on their radio for your return.

The taxi's usually cost about $15 FJD per person, each way.

I cannot comment on the meals at BLBR, but when staying at Octopus, I never had any complaints.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Small Boat Hire at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

Hi HoF, I remember when I was at NIR in April last year, and noticed it somewhere, possibly due to the numbers of yachties around??? I figure it makes sense, specially to take the surprise out of the evening for Samu.