We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's it like?

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What's it like?

Hi

I've seen a deal for a holiday here, and I wondered if anybody could tell me what the place is like? I've never been to Crete.

Is it very touristy, are there nice restaturants/ bars, things to do etc.?

Thanks very much

Lizzie

12 replies to this topic
west sussex
Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's it like?

We stayed just outside Kolymbari, a couple of years ago, self catering at a place called Alonia. Kolymbari is a small place with not many britsh holidaymakers. Stoney beach, selection of tavernas overlooking the harbour. There is a regular bus service to Chania and the resorts in between, though we hired a car for a few days to see more of the area. It depends what sort of thing you like. Not the sort of place for discos and wild nightlife, fine if you like a less touristy sort of place and chill out evenings eating out by the sea..

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's it like?

selseylady has got it spot on there - it's a small market town with few concessions to tourism. Ideally placed for walking/driving in the west, very close to Rodophou peninsula, easy to travel in to Chania but of course further away than some of the more traditional tourist resorts.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's it like?

Kolymbari is nice small town with, as I remember, a few excellent fish tavernas. A natural sort of place, and one I'd like to stay in but haven't, yet. A strong point is that it's in a great area for walks out on the Rodopou peninsula, and inland too. If you go, do visit the monastery of Gonia, just outside the town.

Here is a link to some information, with photos:

www.west-crete.com/holidays-kolymbari.htm

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's it like?

Great, thanks for all of your replies :) Sounds & looks lovely!

Edited: 12 June 2012, 08:33
Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
155 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's it like?

Lizzie - bet you've seen the same deal I have! I'm very tempted as it all sounds like a great place for a chilled out week.

Crete, Greece
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What's it like?

Kolymbari is a lovely little town with all you could want for a lazy holiday. Within easy reach of some outstanding beaches and some lovely mountain villages, the scenery is outstanding and unspoilt. Most of all the people are do friendly and delighted to greet you. Am I biased? Probably, but I have lived and travelled all over Crete over thirty years and this area is where I have chosen to live for good.

Wells-next-the-Sea...
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's it like?

My family are going in August 2014 can anyone tell me what the beach is like. Someone mentioned several beaches - are they in walking distance?

Wells-next-the-Sea...
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's it like?

Whats the beach like?

Wells-next-the-Sea...
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's it like?

Can you tell more about beach is it stoney or sandy. Are there any other beaches close by? Look forward to hearing from you.

Crete, Greece
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What's it like?

Kolymbari beach is mostly pebbly but there are some sandy spots depending on where you are. The beach is very long and not crowded, and there are lots of nice places to eat and drink looking out over the sea. If you want to visit a sandy beach there are amazing beaches like Falassarna or Elafonissi within easy reach of Kolymbari by bus or by car, or you can go on a boat trip to the stunning lagoon at Balos where the sand is pinky white and the sea almost turquoise.

Reply to: What's it like?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kolymbari
Recent Conversations