We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loutro accommodation and noise from the taverns

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Loutro accommodation and noise from the taverns

Hi,

I am torn as to where to stay in Loutro. I originally was going to book the Porto Loutro, but have since decided against it since it is twice the price of most of the other hotels/rooms in Loutro (although perhaps you would argue you get what you pay for?).

Since then I have looked at sifis and was about to book it until I read some reviews regarding the noise from the tavern below going on until 3am! I am a light sleeper and so this would really disturb me! I was wondering whether anyone could tell me just how bad this is/how often it goes on until this late?

Also, does anyone know whether Kyma and Madares suffer the same problem with noise until the early hours? I could handle until midnight but 3am is abit much. (None of the reviews on here or on booking.com mention noise problems for these two).

Any other accommodation advice is greatly welcomed.

Cheers, Heather

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
784 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loutro accommodation and noise from the taverns

We were in Loutro last year at the end of August. Between 10 and 11 pm more or less everything is closing down and it gets very quiet. The only bars are that are open are the Sifis and possibly Kyma, these two are at opposite ends of the village so basically anywhere you decide to stay in-between will be quiet.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,342 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loutro accommodation and noise from the taverns

Hi,

Difficult one, yachties may decide that one particular place is suitable for their PUs into the night.

When I stayed in Loutro I did have a room directly over a taverna/cafe, lovely view and a big balcony. You did get a bit of noise in the evening during cooking time as the kitchen chimney/ventalation shaft was fairly close, however it did not go on late.

It was further round the bay than the Sifis/Porto Loutro. Looks like it was a building or two before the 'Kyma'. I think it may have been 'Limani rooms'.

I suppose the answer to this is to take a room looking out the back, however you then face into the hillside or another building, backyards etc, and a lot are crammed in tight.

Reviews on Booking.com avoid the obvious a lot of the time, you find out later of course.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loutro accommodation and noise from the taverns

Maybe the Porto Loutro 2 would suit you? it's up behind the front row of tavernas, so probably a little quieter, unless their bar is busy that night, of course. Lovely views, they do cost a bit more, but have upgraded bathrooms.

Anywhere in Loutro can be noisy I think, it's pot luck which bar or 2 happens to be popular that week.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loutro accommodation and noise from the taverns

All of the rooms in Loutro, apart from the few that are above the first level, have tavernas beneath them. But the noise is of people conversing and eating, and it will end well before midnight. As FDSwansea says, Sifis and Kyma have bars that stay open later; there is also a bar, whose name escapes me, that plays soft civilised music (sometimes jazz) until fairly late.

The Porto Loutro has become one of the worst places to be, noise wise: it is right behind the beach, and I've several times been kept awake by people having raucous beach parties. These can go on forever.

The Porto Loutro (both Porto Loutros) has become so expensive in the last couple of years that I'm not sure about getting what you pay for. I stayed there for many years, but no longer do, for various reasons including the cost and the noise. It's certainly a cut above the rest, but not enough to justify being almost double the cost.

Madares should be fine, if you've looked at it and like the look of it. I can recommend Ilios, Maria's Rooms, and Limani, and, above all, Nikolas Rooms which is right at the eastern end of the village, perfectly quiet and with its own beach (not private, but hardly anyone uses it apart from those who stay there). All the ones I've named are simple, basic, and run by nice people who will look after your needs.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Loutro accommodation and noise from the taverns

Thank you all for your advice. I think I am right to avoid Sifis and Kyma then. I was not aware that the Porto Loutro could be noisy. Thanks for the suggestion JWugg, however, it is quite a bit more expensive and we wanted to be on the sea front. I can handle noise and people eating/drinking etc since I don't tend to go to sleep until midnight 1pm. But rowdy people outside until 3pm-ish would ruin my stay in what I have been led to believe is "quiet and tranquil".

Its quite difficult to decide where to stay if you rule out, porto loutro, kyma, sifis and the old phoenix since a lot of the other accommodations are not really mentioned on here.

Would you recommend the Limani rooms retired_hippy?

Out of the ones you suggested above Alabastron are there any that you would prefer to stay at over another?

Cheers for the advice

sligo
Level Contributor
660 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Loutro accommodation and noise from the taverns

Hi Heather,

I stayed in Limani rooms in 2007 for a couple of nights and found them very comfortable, clean and reasonably priced. As RetiredHippy says they are a bit further around the bay towards the east of the port, if I can remember rightly there is no beach directly below their rooms, just their own restaurant and then then some of the villages small boats moored alongside, so beach party if happening would be further west. It was late September when I was there and found the whole place very civilised and pretty quiet. I would image October should me moreso.

The couple running it were very pleasant and helpful, the lady of the house is Maria and though I met her husband I cannot remember his name.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 17:44
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loutro accommodation and noise from the taverns

The Porto Loutro isn't noisy generally: only when people are having get-togethers on the beach. It is the only hotel on the beach - the beach is small. I missed any reference in your post to your coming in October (mentioned by bobojnr) but if that's when you are coming, this won't be even an occasional problem: it will be too cool at night for anyone to want to stay out on the beach. If the Porto Loutro's rates worry you, then don't stay there: there's no need to pay over the odds for something that is really only a little bit better appointed than all the others.

Limani is a a few houses east of the Porto Loutro, and you wouldn't be troubled by beach noise there or bar noise there: dinner will be over by 11 at the latest, and everyone gone from the taverna (which has arguably the best grilled meat in Loutro, though Pavlos next door also has his devotees).

I think I made it clear that of the five I mentioned, Nikolas Rooms would be my choice. But they're all all right: basic Greek rooms with bathrooms, hot and cold running water, regular cleaning and linen changing. The usual. And they're all nice people. Choose one, see if they have room on your dates, and go for it. If you aren't going in October, if you're going in one of the hot months, better check if there is air conditioning: I think they all have it by now, but I'd want to be sure.

Bobojnr, if you stayed at Limani in 2007 and met Maria, she wasn't married then: you probably met one of her two brothers, Giannis and Nikos. Maria is now married, with a baby, and lives in Chania. Limani is now run by Nikos and his wife Popi.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loutro accommodation and noise from the taverns

hello, could I ask Heather why you have excluded the Old Pheonix? is this the OP in Loutro or Finix the small bay around the coast? It is one of my considerations for June next year.

thanks

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loutro accommodation and noise from the taverns

Hi

I was in Loutro just a couple of days ago.

There was a party at Sifis hotel with live Cretan music. The hotels residents next to it would have serious trouble sleeping. I stayed at the Madares, but the noise was too loud even there. It got a little better with balcony doors closed and the air condition on but you could still hear it.

The benefit of it all was that I sat outside till 3am that ended watching and studying all the constellations of the sky. (If the next rooms would not leave their outside lights open, would be even better)And it was a magnificent moonless night.

I think they should rather cut the power after 12 am, that would solve the problem.

Nikolas Rooms is the best choice. (I asked but they didn't have vacancy)

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loutro accommodation and noise from the taverns

The days when Loutro was a quiet, peaceful, remote paradise are long gone. And when you think about it, it's unreasonable to expect a small resort that is crammed with hotels and rooms and the people staying in them, to be quiet and peaceful. I don't say this critically: I had that very expectation for at least the final 6-7 years of my stays there, and I had it because for the first 10-12 years, it was quiet and peaceful. So I tried to ignore the fact that it had changed.

Loutro, like other remote, undiscovered, quiet places in Crete, became popular, and became the victim of its popularity some time ago. Its problem is that it is enclosed by mountains and cannot expand outwards. When we first saw Loutro from the ferry from Agia Roumeli, 30 years ago, there were just a few houses along the sea front, mostly fishermans' houses apart from the Blue House and the beautiful Venetian house belonging to the owners of the Porto Loutro. It looked the essence of peace and quiet. By 1991, when we started staying there, the spaces between the houses had been filled. Then, when the tourist "boom" began, Loutro expanded upwards. Every year, a new bit of flat shelf was dyamited out of the mountain at a higher level, and some more rooms places built. Loutro, once a small seaside fishing village, then a small, little-visited resort, has now expanded beyond its capacity to absorb its many visitors, and in the summer it is a crowded, busy, and sometimes noisy, place.

But as I said earlier, it is still trading on its remote, peaceful, quiet, No Cars reputation. The "No Cars" part is the only really truthful part now. But that's misleading: other places that do have cars - Sougia, for example - are quieter than Loutro. "Remote" applies only in winter, when the ferry schedule drops to once or twice a week. Can you call a village that has four ferries a day in the summer "remote"? Or for that matter a village that is bursting at the seams with people having fun on their holidays "peaceful"? Loutro IS still quiet and peaceful in April and October, and to a lesser degree in May and after mid-September. (It is still too busy for me in May and September, which is why I don't stay there any more, but that's a personal view: most people would say it is still quiet then.) In June, July, August and early September it is full, bustling, and sometimes noisy. But it's relative: Loutro is still much quieter, at any time, than most of the resorts along the north coast.

Having said all that, Loutro is still enchantingly beautiful, still very picturesque, and still (if you look beneath the surface) a fishing village. The fish you eat in the tavernas will mostly have been caught by the owner of the taverna you're eating in, or by one of his mates. The tavernas are all good - they have to be, as they are in in competition with one another for repeat business. They wouldn't survive if they didn't have high standards, and their owners and staff work extremely hard to maintain them. Loutro is loved by many people, who return year after year and have made lifelong friends there. And if you are a walker, there is no better place to stay.

And if you have the luck to be on a night of live Cretan music, count yourself lucky! Listen, enjoy it, and look at the stars.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 10:31
Get answers to your questions about Loutro