We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling on south coast without a car - Loutro to Lendas

Which Loutro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling on south coast without a car - Loutro to Lendas

Hello all,

we are planning to go to Crete for the period of 4.-14.October (on our own,no travel agency).

We definitely want to stay on south coast and with the goal to have a quiet and relaxing holidays away from the crowds but we are not experienced drivers so we need to use public transport/taxi.

We did lots of online research and we preliminarily decided to go for Loutro and then Lentas. We planned to spend first part in Loutro and then go to Lentas/Lendas. But we were unable to find out any reasonable route by public bus how to get to Lendas from Hora Sfakion (where the boat from Loutro lands). May I please kindly ask you if you have any suggestions how get there, any bus combinations we were unable to find in the rather confusing KTEL map? Or you would suggest taking a taxi? (hoping not to cost us a fortune)

We really like the area of both Loutro and Lentas but the two of them seem to be uneasy to combine by just public transport.

Thank you very much in advance.

Veronika

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,573 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling on south coast without a car - Loutro to Lendas

It's a bit of a long journey.

Sfakia (Chora Sfakion) to Rethymnon:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

Rethymnon to Heraklion:

Heraklion to Lendas - there is only 1 bus a day, at 1245:

So the only way of getting there in a day is if you get the 0700 bus from Sfakia, which presumably means staying in Sfakia the night before.

By road it is possible to make a route via Agia Galini. It's 140km and a 3 hour drive, so I hate to think how much a taxi would be.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,692 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling on south coast without a car - Loutro to Lendas

Steve has given you good directions. If you decide to do it by bus, it will be a very long journey, so my suggestion would be to get yourselves to Chania after leaving Loutro, taking the 9.30 am ferry to Sfakia and the 11am bus to Chania, which will get you there at 1. Spend the afternoon, evening, and night in Chania, and proceed to Heraklion and Lendas in the morning. It's an almost-3 hour bus journey to Heraklion, so to be safe, catch the 8.30 am bus, as the 9.30 one, if delayed by traffic on the approach to Heraklion, might not get you there in time to catch the Lendas bus.

I wouldn't even think about taking a taxi: it would be very expensive.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 15:44
Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling on south coast without a car - Loutro to Lendas

Alabastron the best and the shorter way would be to stay in Rethymnon. Chania would only add more time to the journey next day, and of course more money for the tickets.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling on south coast without a car - Loutro to Lendas

Thanks for all your replies! I think we would stay overnight in Sfakia as Steve recommended. I hope the destinations will be worth it :)

5. Re: Travelling on south coast without a car - Loutro to Lendas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 22:17
Edited: 24 September 2013, 22:17
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,692 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling on south coast without a car - Loutro to Lendas

>Alabastron the best and the shorter way would be to stay in Rethymnon. Chania would only add more time to the journey next day, and of course more money for the tickets.<

Gerlion, of course you're right that it would be shorter and cheaper. But Chania is so much more interesting than Rethymnon. :0) And now I'll duck before your arrows fly.

Anyway, Veronika has decided to stay the night in Sfakia, which is also fine.

Veronika, Loutro and Lendas will be lovely: quiet and relaxing. I wouldn't say that about Loutro during the tourist season, because it isn't quiet and relaxing any more (at least I don't think so) but in October it almost certainly will be. You need to be prepared for the possibility of some unsettled weather - some cloudy days and perhaps some rain - and for coolish evenings. Take a fleece or a warm jumper. But the weather should be mostly good, and the sea will still be warm.

Have a lovely holiday.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 22:19
7. Re: Travelling on south coast without a car - Loutro to Lendas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Loutro