We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunny side?

Which Loutro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
huddersfield...
Level Contributor
51 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Sunny side?

Hi,

We are off to Crete on Saturday and are staying in Paleochora for five nights (booked) before going to Loutro again :) Last time (2010) we had a nice room but tiny balcony that we found a little uncomfortable for two to sit and read on!

This time we would like a bigger balcony with a couple of sun loungers. We seem to remember one side of the bay was shady part of the day too. As a couple of lizards we would love anyone in the know to recommend a comfy studio ( or other ) with a big balcony, full sun and a few loungers to stretch out? 'Front line' not essential at all, around the 'back' would be fine too. Big ask in little Loutro!

Thanks for any info,

Samantha

12 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
15,845 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunny side?

Given the orientation of the bay, its western end gets the earliest rays of the sun and its eastern end keeps the sun longest. If it's late afternoon sun you want to bask in, walk from the ferry to the opposite end of the village and start asking. Nikolas Rooms, the furthest east, is the best of the accommodation in that area, but given its popularity, and given that mid-September is still high season in Loutro, you'll be lucky to get anything at all there, let alone their best room. Indeed, I think you'll be lucky to find what you want in Loutro in mid-September if you haven't already booked. You won't have to sleep on the beach, but a large, sunny balcony? Doubtful, but you could be lucky.

Working from east to west, as far as the middle of the Bay, Oasis Rooms, Kyma, Villa Niki, Limani, Ilios, Scirocco, and the Porto Loutro are other possibilities. You'll find telephone numbers here:

http://loutro.gr/en/hotels

Edited: 02 September 2014, 06:49
huddersfield...
Level Contributor
51 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunny side?

Thank you for your reply , we have decided to prebook rather than rock up. We found exactly what we wanted at cafe loutro, thanks for your help, Sam

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,845 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunny side?

Good - just be aware that Café Loutro is near the western end of the village, and the sun will disappear from it rather earlier than from the places I told you of.

You did ask about the "sunny side!" But it only matters if you're determined to eke out the very last rays and will be disappointed if you don't. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves, and am glad you're sorted: you did the right thing by booking.

Edited: 02 September 2014, 22:09
huddersfield...
Level Contributor
51 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunny side?

Thanks to you I now know it isn't the sunnier side but feel having a bed is better! You were right that prebooking was best, last time we had no problem just turning up but I emailed four places and only this had all the dates available so thought I should book.

Thank you so much for your help, we will be sure to raise a glass to you while there!

Samantha

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,845 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunny side?

When you last visited Crete in 2010, tourist numbers were well down: the economic situation was making it difficult for people to travel, and many who could afford to travel were reluctant to visit Greece. So it wasn't difficult then to find accommodation on the spot. This year tourist numbers have been well up, which is why I thought you should probably book.

Enjoy your time in Crete.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunny side?

In the middle of July I walked twice to Loutro from Chora Sfakion and to be honest I was shocked by the huge number of tourists and the unbearable density of the sunbeds on the beach. I do admit that the place is beautiful and fascinating (including the nearby bays), however, it felt completely crowded.

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
711 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunny side?

Yes Marjan, if you catch Loutro when it is busy (most of the summer) it feels extremely crowded - even more so at the weekend.

I used to really like Loutro until the mid to late 1990s but then it became to densely crowded for me. Still very pleasant in spring and in October though.

Edited: 03 September 2014, 12:00
London, United...
Level Contributor
15,845 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunny side?

I lasted rather longer than JeanCrete, because as a centre for walking Loutro is unequalled. But even I had had enough by a couple of years ago. One of Loutro's problems has been that it can't expand in any direction except Up, and there is a limit to how many shelves for house-foundations can be blasted out of a mountainside. Loutro reached that limit some time ago, and is now much too small for the numbers of visitors it attracts. Its most popular restaurants have queues for dinner, and its small beach is inadequate for the numbers of sunbeds its visitors seem to require during the long summer season. And that's it's other problem - the one that has ruined so so many beautiful, formerly quiet places: its popularity.

Even Marmara beach, once so perfectly peaceful, has been overtaken by wall-to-wall sunbeds and fake tropical umbrellas. My last horrified visit there, a year ago, was genuinely the last. It's a shame.

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
649 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunny side?

Hi,

Up from Sofias Market they have rooms with a huge balcony in good prices. You can ask there if you don't really need a sea front line hotel! It must be cheaper then the others!

Enjoy Loutro! It's beautiful!

huddersfield...
Level Contributor
51 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunny side?

Now back from Loutro, it was not busy at all, and when is did feel a bit busy it was just a few walking groups for a night, only added to a wee buzz. ( or what passes for a buzz in Loutro) We ended up in a studio with huge balcony and fab views above Loutro Cafe, called Loutro Holidays. Was really good for 50 euros a night, if you can manage the sqwillion steps! Great staff and very welcoming. Thank you to all, saving for next year now!

Reply to: Sunny side?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loutro