We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparing Lamai and Chaweng

Box Hill, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Comparing Lamai and Chaweng

We are currently in beautiful chaweng where we are really enjoying the lovely beach... our 3rd time here, so are keen to visit other parts of the island... a day trip to lamai is being considered. What’s the beach like? Nice for swimming? Good Thai restaurants for lunch? Thanks in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,879 posts
386 reviews
1. Re: Comparing Lamai and Chaweng

A day trip is a great idea to get a feel for Lamai. Its very similar to Chaweng, just smaller. Beach is pretty much the same as Chaweng but a few more rocks. I only go there for the Sunday Night Market.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Comparing Lamai and Chaweng

Can't comment on Lamai because we didn't spend any time on it, only driving by. However we did stay on the southern end of Chaweng and had conversations with many couples who despite staying in Lamai, headed over to our area because the beach was nicer, less rocky, and not pestered by bugs. Some of them even went so far as to change hotels to the our area.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: Comparing Lamai and Chaweng

I'm not much of a Lamai fan myself, the beach is OK but I just don't like the way the area is laid out and there's not as many nice restaurants.

However other people love Lamai, some people choose to stay there multiple times. So it really is a personal preference. Going there for a day trip is a great idea to see whether you like the place or not.

Box Hill, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Comparing Lamai and Chaweng

Thank you all for your advice... will go there for the day and check it out

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Comparing Lamai and Chaweng

The beach is lovely and you don’t get to many beach sellers as you do in chaweng and if you want good food the kon tiki bar food is awesome and also has a swimming pool if you have children

gold coast australia
Level Contributor
424 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Comparing Lamai and Chaweng

can i ask how far it is from Chaweng to Lamai we are going to be in chaweng and want to vist Lamai

thanks

gold coast australia
Level Contributor
424 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Comparing Lamai and Chaweng

can i ask how far it is from Chaweng to Lamai we are going to be in chaweng and want to vist Lamai

thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Comparing Lamai and Chaweng

Its about a 20 min drive between Chaweng and Lamai Fordy, around 400BHT by taxi

Box Hill, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Comparing Lamai and Chaweng

Ok so we took a ride to Lamai via tuk tuk 200baht for 2 of us.. got dropped off at grandma and grandpa rocks, had a look around there, then walked the beach, swam with beautiful coloured fish, loved spending the day there.. thanks for the recommendations.

Reply to: Comparing Lamai and Chaweng
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lamai Beach
Recent Conversations