We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches and resorts ???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches and resorts ???

Hi to all, I am a little confused. I am planning a trip in early march with my wife to Samui. We have enjoyed Phuket over our last two trips staying at kata or karon beach. We don't like patong to stay but happy to visit as we have found patong beach dirty. We live in Australia so accustomed to good sandy beaches . I have looked at lots of sites and feel that the peace hotel Bophut beach was what we wanted as the beach looked great and close enough to restaurant areas such as fishermans village. But read a comment about beaches and the forum replys said lamai beach was far better and the night life far superior . I then looked at lamai beach and its rocky and not nice at all. We like beaches like Australia and kata/ karon beach in Phuket. Can anyone help please . Our budget is $130 US per night and we are in our early 50s and still enjoy a dance and some laughs. Thank. You

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches and resorts ???

Hi

The beach in bophut is swimmable however it let down the sand quality. The sand in bophut beach is gritty and coarse.

Lamai beach some certain parts are rocky and some part are good. As to nigh life far superior !!! Its depends on the persons and how we interpreted the word "superior".

Cheonmon beach, south chaweng and chaweng noi beach IMHO are the best beach in koh Samui.

South chaweng might be the way to go for you close to night life in chaweng central by foot 20-25 mins or short taxi rides. Cheongmon beach the most laid back wih bars and restaurants but need to go chaweng for night life. Chaweng noi beach also need taxi to night life.

If you like peace reosrt then have a look at

Centara grand beach resort and Buri rasa in south chaweng beach

Imperial beach Samui in chaweng noi beach

Impetial boat house in Charongmon beach

In Lamai you might like to look at beach republic, Thai jasmin house and Pavilion hotel

Hope this hope

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches and resorts ???

Here's my take on it. Bhoput is a lovely area and the beach is beautiful and the views of neighbouring islands is stunning. The beach has a more coarse texture than others on Samui but its generally clean. By coarse, its teeny tiny pebbles rather than soft talcum powdered sand. Chaweng has the softer sand but its much much busier and in some areas littered with rubbish. In the centre of Chaweng, its also deafening at night. I prefer Bhoput to Chaweng because it looks and feels more laid back and is significantly less frenetic and westernised than Chaweng. If sands a deal breaker then Chaweng would be better, but of the 3 Chaweng areas, then South Chaweng as its quieter

I personally would not stay in Lamai because of the higher density of girlie bars and the type of people it attracts to the area. However, Chaweng too has a red light area and you can avoid both areas if you want to.

If sands not the most important thing in a holiday, go with Bhoput as it sounds just what you're looking for. If sand is important and you don't mind densely packed busy westernised areas, then go for Chaweng. If you want soft white sand, stunning scenery and a much quieter laid back, thai village like area, then head for Choeng Mon. 30 or so restaurants and bars in this area and its 10 minutes in opposite directions to both Chaweng and Bhoput, so easy to visit both if you fancy a mad noisy night out in Chaweng, or want a better selection of restaurants in Bhoput or to visit its famous Friday night walking street in Fisherman's village. SPs the experts on Chaweng Noi so if she says its good, it must be but I suspect that areas like Choeng Mon was 15 years ago, so the least developed of the areas mentioned above.

Coffs Harbour
Level Contributor
267 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches and resorts ???

Hi Mark, like you I always stay at Kata or Karon on Phuket for the same reasons. We stay biannually on Samui and Koh Phangan and have just returned last Sunday. As you can see from where I'm from and likewise yourself ,we are spoilt when it comes to beautiful beaches. In my opinion not many beaches in Asia can compare to here and to me, visiting these countries is more about the beautiful people and their culture (not to mention food).

In my opinion the two best places to stay without doubt are South Chaweng and Lamai. Both beaches are quite nice and are only walking distance to all the entertainment. Nothing like Patong, more like walking from Mom Tris Villa Hotel in Kata into Kata town centre. Chaweng is the main centre and you can never run out of choices for food/bars/shopping/entertainment etc. The resorts are mostly all beachside and you walk from your room directly onto the beach. Lamai is a smaller (but still busy) village, plenty of bars/shops restaurants etc. There is an outdoor mall area that has the girls pole dancing etc so if you don't like this you don't have to visit, theres plenty of other things to do in Lamai in the evenings. The northern end of both Chaweng and Lamai are to be avoided if you want a nice part of the beach, these sections are rocky and not great for swimming. The main section of Lamai beach is about 600 meters long and great for swimming.

Choeng Mon is a nice area on Samui and we stayed there last week. The beach is Ok but too shallow for good swimming and is more of an area for lazing in the shallows or for kids. (We were visiting friends here and didn't stay because of the beach) In fact I wouldn't stay in Choeng Mon again.

We generally stay at Samui Jasmine Resort in Lamai and Samui Paradise at South Chaweng. If you want to visit Bohput or the fishermans village, you can always get a songthaew (taxi) takes about 20 mins and 200 baht. Have a look at www.sawadee.com for hotels and maps...... Hope this helps.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches and resorts ???

In Phuket we always stay in Kata and in Samui South Chaweng at at Poppies or Centara, we have also stayed at Samui Paradise but that was a few years ago but it's also a very good option. South Chaweng is quieter than Central Chaweng but still within walking distance, about 20/25 minutes, we wouldn't stay anywhere else.

5. Re: Beaches and resorts ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Lamai Beach
Recent Conversations