We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child safe

sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Child safe

Is it safe to walk around towns - chaweng , Lamai with children?

Family friendly restaurants?

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Child safe

hi

safe from what exactly?

sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Child safe

Touche Samuitongsan!

Apologies that was very generic of me...Don't know what I was thinking...why wife has this pre conceived idea that their is sleeze at every turn. sincere apologies.

I guess she wants to know that we are able to walk around day/night go shopping and restaurant without any hawking or hassles.

I believe generally that Thai people are very friendly.

Sorry

Cesspitt

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Child safe

Hi there

Thailand is the child friendly in the world. You child will be spoilt. If you have a meal in the restaurants the staffs will ask if they can look after your child whilst you eat. The Thais love children. Tell your wife to rest assures you will have no problem whatsoever. There are in some areas ( small area) both in Lamai and chaweng in most people think it sleazy but even there your child will be safe.

Pea.. Also a mother :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Child safe

Samui in general probably has the least amount of "adult entertainment" of all the popular Thai destinations IMHO.

The "sleaze" as you refer to it, is concentrated to 3 areas on Samui.

The center of Lamai where there is a round beer bar type envitonment + Soi Reggae & Soi Green Mango in Chaweng.

While some people may take offense to these areas, and I do believe it's more about pre-concieved notions rather than first hand experience, what you will find is friendly, honest people doing a job that puts food on many tables for many families, be they Ladyboys, girls from Issan or any other place.

If you did happen to walk up upon on of these areas you'd find the people working there would respect you, your wife and especially your child (it's likely many of them have children back home)

Samui is very family friendly, probably more so than most (but not all) popular Thai foriegn destination.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Child safe

Just realized from your others thread that your child is 12 then the staffs won't be asking in to look after him lol.

Again you wont have a problem. we family of 3 our son goes everywhere with us but sadly he's now nearly 17 soon to have his car license he's now think is not cool to be around his patents anymore :(

sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Child safe

thank you pea and MattB...appreciate both your posts...am already assured.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Child safe

You will not have any trouble avoiding any "sleazy" areas, they really are a tiny part of the island and generally tucked away in side streets (Lamai is probably a bit more visible) so if you don't go looking it is highly unlikely that you would see anything that would make you uncomfortable.

Our last trip our daughter was 13 and she absolutely loved it. It really is a family friendly destination and she still got fussed over a bit by the staff in restaurants etc. We did explain to her about ladyboys because you will see them around and they aren't to be laughed at or pitied and we wanted her to be accepting of them. She took it all in her stride and enjoyed engaging with the Thai's in general.

One thing she did do before going was to get our old Thai phrase book out from about years ago and learn some words and phrases. My husband and I's little bit of Thai comes back each time we visit and she enjoyed learning a few simple words and they certainly appreciated her efforts.

I think either the southern end of Chaweng or Choeng Mon would suit what you are looking for. If you go on a site such as Sawasdee you can put these areas into the drop down boxes to narrow your search down.

sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Child safe

Thank you verity much JustAllie, I appreciate this.

Can I ask where you stayed with your daughter?

sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Child safe

Thank you verity much JustAllie, I appreciate this.

Can I ask where you stayed with your daughter?

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Child safe

We stayed at Chaweng Cove on southern Chaweng in a pool view villa. It is a small resort with very good villas although the pool is getting a bit tired. Great location and beach in front. Still a little busy for some but I think a good place for families with older kids.

Get answers to your questions about Lamai Beach
Recent Conversations