We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosiac Farm or Grootbos Nature Reserve?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Mosiac Farm or Grootbos Nature Reserve?

Hi lovely people!

I am trying to decide between the above two, for a 2 or 3 night stay in June.

We, with our two boys (8 and 10), would like to do a shark cage dive, and also spend some time in either resort just exploring - doing 4x4 quad biking, either kayaking (Mosiac) or horse-back riding (Grootbos)...

My big problem is, I just can't decide which resort to choose. Hence, any views / thoughts from the experts on this forum would be most welcomed!

Many thanks in advance!

Regards, Celeste

6 replies to this topic
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,196 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosiac Farm or Grootbos Nature Reserve?

These are two very different places. Mosaic is located by a large lagoon and has some neat views of the small mountains directly opposite. It is small and more like an upmarket rural operation than Grootbos, which is positioned on a hillside with panoramic views of the ocean and the rest of the entire area. I know the owners of both of them, so I need to choose my words carefully. If size matters, then Grootbos wins. Its Forest Lodge is the most sophisticated combination of lodging and dining of anywhere in the Overberg. And If the unique nature of Mosaic and the back story about its origins and its privacy and peaceful nature appeals to you, then that's where you belong.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosiac Farm or Grootbos Nature Reserve?

Thanks, Dave. That's quite a helpful answer.

Would you know how far Grootbos to Gansbaai town?

Mentioned in this post
Gansbaai
Gansbaai
Overstrand, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosiac Farm or Grootbos Nature Reserve?

15/20mins away from Grootbos to Gansbaai/Kleinbaai for shark cage diving.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Mentioned in this post
Gansbaai
Gansbaai
Overstrand, South Africa
Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosiac Farm or Grootbos Nature Reserve?

We visited Grootbos with our 10 and 8yo last August, having had a previously excellent stay pre-kids. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't on our side and with most of the activities being outdoors, we weren't able to get as much out of the visit as we'd hoped. The staff struggled to entertain guests during the poor weather and I'd be reluctant to visit again in winter.

However, the family accommodation was very comfortable and the food was a very high standard.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosiac Farm or Grootbos Nature Reserve?

Thanks, Hanks. Yes, the main reason for wanting to split our stay at cape town, is for the Shark Cage Diving :)

Sandsy, thanks for note. Oh dear, I haven't even started considering the weather!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,196 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosiac Farm or Grootbos Nature Reserve?

I can suggest another option.. One of the good Guest Houses in De Kelders.. The whales will just be coming in about then (so will we - we get to our house in De Kelders on 04JUNE). You can watch them so easily from the shore. If the main reason to be in the area is shark cage diving, then you could dedicate 2 nights of your itinerary just for this and hope weather would be cooperative that morning in between the 2 nights. These places are B&B's, but there are a couple of good places for dinner in the area.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 15:41
Mentioned in this post
De Kelders
De Kelders
Overstrand, South Africa
Reply to: Mosiac Farm or Grootbos Nature Reserve?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Overberg District
More Overberg District Topics