We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in zululand

jerusalem
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in zululand

can anyone advise me 2-3 days tour from durban to zululand by car, to see zulu life in villages, museum and zulu ceremonial dances.

8 replies to this topic
Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
34 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in zululand

From Durban go direct to the Shakaland Protea Hotel. Their rates are pretty good and you get entry into the cultural show that evening and the following morning. Honestly that's about it for Zulu culture and life. If you looking for more you'll need to a guide to take you to places like Stanger (where the Zulu king Shaka was assasinated) and Ulundi, and maybe even some battle fields, but that's about it.

After the show head off to St.Lucia estuary and go for a cruise on the estuary. The cruise is 2 hours long and you get too see some "rafts" of hippo, and the odd crocodile.

From there I would go to Emdoneni and get my photo taken with the cheetah and other cats. And that afternoon end off at Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve for an overnight stop.

Spend the last day on safari before leaving for Durban. If you staying in Durban there's the KwaMuhle Museum as well as the Phanzi Museums, both excellent for Zulu insight.

Tour operator and guide - www.cctouring.co.za

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in zululand

lots of Zulu life on the sides of the freeway as you go up. Zulu market Zamimpilo on the way.

…blogspot.com/2010/11/journey-to-zululand-si…

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in zululand

Many of the lodges do a community tour

phinda.com/south-africa-safari/isikolethu-zu…

www.eshowe.com/article/articlestatic/33/1/20/

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Edited: 07 March 2012, 05:24
Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
34 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in zululand

I forgot Duma Cultural Village which is just 50m down the road from Emdoneni, and it's well worth a visit.

Durban
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in zululand

Hi Palgil

If you are driving, there's a place Shakaland in Eshowe, which is about 180 km from Durban. The best cultural village i would recommend to you.

You can visit Dumazulu which is which is in Zululand for a cultural tour.

Or if you are looking to do the above tours and a game drive

log on to www.1stzulusafaris.co.za

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in zululand

For a very real look at Zulu life and how if all works, no shows, no hat passing and no bells and whistles, go to Ghost Mountain Inn and book onto thier Cultural Tour. The best expanation of Tribal life I've come across by far. Also a lovey hotel to stay at.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in zululand

Shakaland is the largest interactive Kraal and there are lots of guided day trips out of Durban. You can do another "tourist version" close to Durban at Phezulu. This was my first "Zulu Cultural Experience" over 20 years ago. The place has changed a bit since then but the essesnce of its cultural show and tell stays the same. The animal bit has certainly expanded and you can take a 4x4 trip out into Zulu communities in the hills behind.

www.phezulusafaripark.co.za/phezulu.htm

However, if you want to get up close and personal with current Zulu culture try visiting the Valley of a 1000 Hills. Here you can even stay overnight within the Zulu community.

www.vukafricatours.com/index.php…

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in zululand

Is Shakaland still a Protea hotel?

I can't find the hotel on the Protea website,

The Shakaland website has references to Protea http://www.shakaland.com/accommodation.htm but emails to res@shakaland.co.za bounce

Reply to: 3 days in zululand
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zululand