We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changi Airside transfer w/2 airlines-Singapore/Garuda

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Changi Airside transfer w/2 airlines-Singapore/Garuda

We are traveling from LAX to SIN with Singapore Airlines landing at 05:55, our next flight is at 15:20 with Garuda to Yogyakarta. Does Garuda have a transfer/transit desk airside at Changi open that early where we can have our luggage transferred/boarding pass collected for our next flight? We would like to avoid having to go through immigration/customs/baggage claim if possible as we would like to book a transit hotel room in advance and not have to wait for a check-in desk to open land side.

I looked on the Changi website in the transit section and it says you have to have purchased a transfer facilities. I'm not entirely sure what that means. Thanks for any insight you can give.

4 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,568 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changi Airside transfer w/2 airlines-Singapore/Garuda

You are only guaranteed an airside transfer if you are on a through ticket which covers transfers. However, Changi do seem to be doing this for any full service airline onward flight...Garuda do have an airside desk, so with that time gap it is worth trying it.

However, you have to accept that the bottom line is they can refuse and you have to go round the airport immigration and re-checkin process.

You can still book a transit hotel room - just use it and then pas immigration - your bags will be in the Lost and Found storage area - take your baggage tags to the staff and get the bags back. Some don't like the dea and perceive it far riskier than the rest of the airport process.

Equally you might circumvent the airside only transfer - as US citizens (I assume that from your location) you have no visa issues with entering Singapore, so you can just go round the immigration, bags etc process and use Garuda's early checkin desk landside - its open from 05:30 every morning for flights that day....you get boarding passes for the onward flight and can go airside then.....see check in desk details here

www.changiairport.com/en/flight/airlines.html

Give enough time and you can have a transit room booked and go to it then.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changi Airside transfer w/2 airlines-Singapore/Garuda

Hi The_Serious_Traveler,

Do you have a single PNR for SQ+GA? Or booked separately?

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changi Airside transfer w/2 airlines-Singapore/Garuda

Thank you for your response -mym- that is all very helpful and informative. The flights are booked separately, in fact only the Singapore Airlines flights have been booked so far, Garuda will be booked soon enough. We are 1x Australian and 1x US citizen. Glad to hear the Garuda check-in desk is open early for same day flights so we don't have to wait around, that will be the way to go if we are refused airside transfer.

It's been 7 years since I've been to Singapore/Changi, so I really appreciate the help!

Chico, California
Level Contributor
57 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changi Airside transfer w/2 airlines-Singapore/Garuda

I was just there January 8-15,arrived on a United flight and had to wait 6-7 hours for a local budget airline flight. Before your SIA flight lands, the crew will hand out Immigration cards for you to fill out with your passports. You do line up & go through Immigration then pick up your luggage at the carousel. There will be staff there to point you in the right direction for your connecting flight.

Most flights now have kiosks with touch-screen computers where you scan your passport & print your boarding pass & baggage tag. Then you go to the counter to actually check your bag in. Pretty quick, then you have time to shop & eat in the various locations of each terminal

Reply to: Changi Airside transfer w/2 airlines-Singapore/Garuda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Changi