We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

resting facilities for transit travellers

Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
resting facilities for transit travellers

My wife and I, on our return trip from Fiji have an overnight layover of 16 hours at Changi before we can board our Mumbai flight at 10am the next day. We have no visas to enter the city and would like to know whether there are any facilities for tired travellers as us to lie down or snooze a while in the transit area.

Thanks in advance

Dr. Somanna

14 replies to this topic
Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: resting facilities for transit travellers

Garuda S, hello

What are your carriers to and from Singapore , please?

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,557 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: resting facilities for transit travellers

Well, your flights have to let you stay airside for a start for most options.

If they do then there are free napping areas and snooze chairs around the terminals. Changi's website is really detailed and should be the first point of checking this sort of thing out.

There are payable facilities as well - the transit hotels and one transit hotel's pool area for example. Lounges will have some comfortable chairs and people do fall asleep in them.

If you have to go landside as part of your trip - then you need to sort necessary visas, but then you could pay for access to the Haven lounge in T3 - which has a variety of facilities.

Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: resting facilities for transit travellers

Thanks for the response. Its Fiji Airways from Nadi to Singapore, and Jet Airways, from Singapore to Mumbai. Planning to buy a single ticket. Is there any chance for the Air carriers to provide any relief in this matter? In the days gone by, they used to provide hotel accommodation including transport for extended transits.

Regards

Dr. Somanna

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: resting facilities for transit travellers

Since Fiji Airways and Jet Airways are code-share partners and you are buying a single ticket, you can stay airside.

Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: resting facilities for transit travellers

Hi myrm, thanks! We don't have visas to enter the city and I don't intend to apply for them either. Are the free lounges and snooze chairs provided within the transit area and accessible to visa-less travellers in transit?

Having no visas bars us from accessing payable lounges, Haven included, that are located in the public area of the airport.

I have looked up Changi's website but have failed to get hold of information related to free lounges and snooze chairs you have spoken of. Perhaps a deeper 'research' will be necessary :)

Regards

Dr. Somanna

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,557 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: resting facilities for transit travellers

OK with those airlines, you can do airside and not worry. It has to be a single ticket though. otherwise you wil be flagged as needing a visa and refused boarding, even if you could get to Changi and arrange an airside transfer.

<< Is there any chance for the Air carriers to provide any relief in this matter?>>

Not likely for only 16hrs.

<< In the days gone by, they used to provide hotel accommodation including transport for extended transits>>

Not as a routine thing in the industry for the 40+ years I have been flying. A few airlines have offered it as a common perk especially for selling their difficult routes, and there are still a couple that do it for that and similar reasons - but it isn't a global standard thing to offer and hasn't been for a long time.

7. Re: resting facilities for transit travellers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 April 2018, 17:45

Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: resting facilities for transit travellers

Hello again mrm! I didn't know what airside means but fortunately Google has told me what it is. Have seen the airside photos and write ups of the 4 terminals' airsides of Changi. There has been no mention of snooze chairs and the scenes seem to be buzzing with activity.

I am still at home, getting sleepy, and feel blessed to bid you good night! My bed is inviting me. We don't appreciate the simple luxuries we have!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: resting facilities for transit travellers

changiairport.com/en/airport-experience/attr…

If you don't mind paying:

changiairport.com/en/…transit-hotels.html

Edited: 13 April 2018, 17:51
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: resting facilities for transit travellers

Hi minxbaby! Thanks! Your pointing out the existence of payable transit hotels where one visa-less traveller can have a decent 'heavenly rest' has been a revelation to me. Being made aware of the very existence of such a service is useful. In case our bodies are very tired from the long haul of +10 hours in the Fiji-Singapore flight and we feel we need to rest our aching bodies for a while, then, this information will certainly be of help to us.

Regards.

Have a great day and a most blessed future.

Dr. Somanna

Reply to: resting facilities for transit travellers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Changi