We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changi Airport - Duty-free misappropriation

Lamballe, France
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
Changi Airport - Duty-free misappropriation

I transited through Changi the evening of 16 Aug en-route to Sydney from London. I had purchased a packaged bottle of duty free alcohol (Irish single malt) at Heathrow Terminal 5 - showing boarding card as normal. The security check at Gate C1 took the duty free from me on the grounds that it was not packed in a sealed plastic bag - although the bottle clearly was sealed in a plastic/cardboard tube, and the whole contained in a London Airport normal branded plastic bag. Asking for a manager had no effect. Showing the Heathrow receipt had no effect. The bottle was a gift to my son in Sydney, and given that I'm a pensioner was a moderately expensive purchase on top of the rest of the trip. I asked what would happen to the bottle. The manager and operator were very evasive - and it was perfectly clear what was to happen to the bottle. I had thought that Singapore was an honest environment - but this was clearly a disappointing experience where no imagination or flexibility were provided at all. Be warned - I certainly won't make the mistake of trusting Changi security again.

3 replies to this topic
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changi Airport - Duty-free misappropriation

Australian customs enforce extra rules, one of which is that you cannot take more than 100ml liquids through the departure gates in carry on. If you purchase duty free liquor at Changi airport then it is delivered to you at the departure gate. If you have bought some elsewhere then it needs to be packed in your checked baggage.

The guard at the departure gate did nothing wrong, there was no dishonesty here. There is no room at all for flexibility when it comes to airport security rules.

It is a pity that the person at Heathrow did not ask you where your final destination was and they could have informed you of the requirements.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,164 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changi Airport - Duty-free misappropriation

The Australian duty-free alcohol rule has been around for some time. This is an article from 2010.

traveller.com.au/battle-to-get-dutyfree-bott…

I hope this explains your situation.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,578 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changi Airport - Duty-free misappropriation

They didnt misappropriate anything. You had no right to take it on board a plane to Australia, due to Australian liquids regulations that have been in place for years. That bottle was always going to be confiscated as it happens, waving a Heathrow receipt and demanding a manager would do nothing to change that. Asutralian law is absolute on this so they could have zero flexibility that you seem to think spthey could have.

Only duty free bought in Changi can be taken on board an Australian bound plane, and then it has to be security cleared separately to you and you pick it up at the jetway past security.

Sorry but you didnt due your due diligence on travel regulations, and it comes over to me that that ignorance of the rules has resulted in you throwing unfounded accusations of wrongdoing at security staff to try and explain it to yourself.

Reply to: Changi Airport - Duty-free misappropriation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Changi