We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean View Room in The Fortress

Hull, England
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean View Room in The Fortress

Hi

Many of you will have spotted I have been asking lots of questions lately....

I am travelling to Sri Lanka in 1 month and am just about to book (yes, very late I know!)

I am currently pencilled in to have an Ocean View Room in The Fortress.

What I am interested in is whether this room type has a Jacuzzi bath or not, some posts seem to say it doesnt whilst others seem to say all rooms are jacuzzi bath.....

I know the Beach Rooms are Jacuzzi definately and the Loft Room has a private plunge...

If the Ocean Room does not have a Jacuzzi is it worth going to the Beach Room or is the view from the Ocean Room so good I should stick with this and forgoe the Jacuzzi??

HELP! ! ! ! !

Koggala Lake
Bodies of Water
Sri Lanka Tours with Dinesh
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, City Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,475 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean View Room in The Fortress

According to the hotel website at

http://www.thefortress.lk/ocean_rooms.php

they definitely do NOT have a jacuzzi. Solely for the two types of suites and for the beach rooms the jacuzzi is mentioned...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean View Room in The Fortress

Hi, we stayed at the Fortress in March this year and were lucky enough to experience a Fortress, Beach and Ocean View room during our stay. The Ocean View rooms are not supposed to have a jacuzzi, but the room we stayed in did! I will try and find the paperwork so that I can let you have the room number, but as you enter the hotel it was the last ocean view room on the far right, next to the residence suite. Nice quiet spot too. The hotel is fantastic, you will have a very relaxing stay. Feel free to get in touch if you need any more information. Deborah

Hull, England
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean View Room in The Fortress

Hi Deborah

Thank you for the post - I have actually sent you a private message - would you mind responding to it? If you want me to post it here I can?

Just more questions about the room etc!

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean View Room in The Fortress

Hi Eric & Sandy

My daughter and I are travelling for the first time to Sri Lanka in a months time. We are doing a private 4 day 'Hill Country Journey' tour and 5 daysat the end at The Fortress Hotel. We had a choice of Jetwing Lighthouse or The Fortress. Now having read some of the conflicting reviews regarding The Fortress I am wondering if we have chosen the right one. We always stay in 5* hotels and having travelled around the world including Thailand and South Africa we realise that 3rd world 5* is not always the same as western 5* . Is this hotel value for money? Also what is the best currency to take, English Pounds, Dollars or Rupees. We have heard conflicting views about this.

Will October be wet as I understand that if it is the dry season we would not need to take Malari Pills. Any tips on this holiday would be very much appreciated.

LondonHoli

Edited: 05 September 2010, 14:34
Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean View Room in The Fortress

Hi LondonHoli...

You have no reason to be worried about the Fortress, it is as good as it gets in Sri Lanka, and more than on a par with Thailand and South Africa too.., AND in fact MUCH better than the Lighhouse in Galle, but as i am sure you know at a price too !, Lighthouse NOT a 5 star, Fortress is..

Money, well from UK, take Sterling, either cash or Travellers Cheques if your bank like mine issues then free of charge (Nationwide), please do NOT be misled by your agents or anyone else into buying US Dollars, if they suggest that, then it will be because they will make money, and you will lose..

Malaria Pills?, ONLY if going to AND staying over night in places like Dambulla or further north, and Yala National Park, other wise no need to worry..

Yes, October can be a little unsettled, with some rain most days, but will not rain all day everyday unless you are VERY unlucky, well hope so as i will be down that way early from October also... :-)

Regards

Dave

Edited: 05 September 2010, 15:28
London
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean View Room in The Fortress

Thanks Dave for answering so quickly. You have put my mind at rest regarding the Fortress. I will take your advise and use English Pounds. Maybe I should get some rupees for 'tipping' for when we first arrive at hotels. I do hate not being able to give the guys something when they have struggled with our cases, etc.

Could bump into one another without knowing it as you will be in the area.

London Holi

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean View Room in The Fortress

Hi again....

Just change some Pounds into Rupees when you arrive at Colombo, there is 5 or 6 banking desks at the airport, don't worry you won't have to go looking, you have to pass them to exit the arrivals area, all give same rates as banks, so no need to shop around.., not worth trying to get Rupees here in UK.

Yes, who knows, we may bump into each other, but i will be around 3 hours north of where you will be at Koggala, i will be at Ahungalla..

Regards

Dave

8. Re: Ocean View Room in The Fortress

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2011, 08:20
Get answers to your questions about Koggala
Recent Conversations