Will be heading off in 12 days time to Koggala for a 3 week stay. Planning to make several day/overnight trips, and for the 1st time in Sri Lanka, I'm planning to use the local buses most of the time, rather than tuk-tuks & the train. Have a few queries about using buses, I hope people can offer advice on
1) Do the drivers usually speak English ?
2) Do you need the exact fare or will the driver give change ?
3) If there's no bus stop, do you just stand anywhere beside the road & flag the bus down when it appears ?
4) Do bus stations, ie in Galle, Matara etc have destinations stands & timetables clearly displayed in English ?
5) How frequently do buses run past Koggala, & until what time in the evenings ?. I know they start very early.
6) How long would it take to Mantara & Tangalla by bus ?
I'm sure once I've caught one bus, it'll be quite straight-forward Thanks very much for your help