We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do's and see's from Koggala

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Must do's and see's from Koggala

Hi

I will be spending 11 days at The Fortress from the 18th of June this year, can anyone suggest some trips, places to visit and see that we should do whilst in the area,

We Don't mind a few long trips and would love to get a real feel of life and culture in Sri Lanka.

Thanks in advance for ant replies.

Gary

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,213 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do's and see's from Koggala

Hi again Gary,

See 'south of Colombo' section of our faq

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c122197/Sri-L…

And we can also mention that a Yala or Udu Walawe jeep safari would be an option from Koggala but not really as day trip. Park entrances are about 3.5 hours one way at least, and the safaris are 6-8:30 AM and 3:30-6 PM. So either make it a long day trip (return 10 PM) or an overnight trip with acco near the park.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do's and see's from Koggala

Thanks Erik (again!)

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do's and see's from Koggala

Hi Gary

There is a beautiful ancient temple in Kathaluwa which is near the Fortress.

It is also possible to do boat trips on the lake and go to Cinnamon Island, see large fruit bats and maybe even a croc in the lake.

I think that the Fortess would be able to arrange this for you.

It is a long drive to Yala but it is worth it, as Erik suggests stay over night then you can do 2 safaris.

You mentioned Micro SIM cards on another thread, I struggled to get one for my iPhone, infact I didn't get one. A very kind gentleman cut a normal SIM down for me to fit in the micro tray. He did this using a scalpel as he didn't have a SIM cutter. I normally take my SIM cutter on holiday and get a normal SIM - I forgot to take it to SL.

Topping up (recharge) is easy by buying scratch cards.

Cheers

AB

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do's and see's from Koggala

Thanks AB ;)

somerset uk
Level Contributor
343 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do's and see's from Koggala

In Koggala itself, try the Martin Wickramasingh Cultural Museum - briliant place, just east of the police station if I remember rightly. Probably within walking distance of the Fortress but I can't remember exactly where the Fortress is in relation to it. Am planning on going again when in Una in August.

Richard

somerset uk
Level Contributor
343 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do's and see's from Koggala

Forgot - Kaduruduwo Temple inland a bit from the road between Una and Galle, across the the highway, i.e. take the access road to the highway and go straight across and it's about a mile or less from there - I over shot by a couple of miles as I missed the turning when I went so look out carefully for the turning. Really nice Temple with several shrines to Hindu Gods as well - no entry charge! Great little concrete lilly pond complete with concrete frog on concrete lilly pads. There are a couple of other really nice temples in the Galle area which friends have taken me to - can't remember names but come back if interested and I can send you photos which a tuk tuk driver would recognise I expect.

Richard

7. Re: Must do's and see's from Koggala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Koggala
Recent Conversations