We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Koggala to Galle

Rowlands Castle...
Level Contributor
21 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel from Koggala to Galle

I'm staying at the Fortress in Koggala at the end of January and I'd like to visit Galle by train. Has anyone done this trip? I've never been on Sri Lankan railways and I'm a bit concerned about frequency and reliability, thanks in advance, AG

Mentioned in this post
The Fortress Resort & Spa
The Fortress Resort & Spa
1,603 Reviews
Koggala, Sri Lanka
Koggala Beach Hotel
Koggala Beach Hotel
494 Reviews
Koggala, Sri Lanka
Galle
Galle
Galle District, Sri Lanka
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,200 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel from Koggala to Galle

Hi Anet,

Not very frequent on that route but basically reliable; timewise more westbound than eastbound as the latter ones often come all the way from Colombo. Bus would probably more practical as there is one per 5 mins or so and it's slightly faster too.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
12,001 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel from Koggala to Galle

Unless you really want to travel on the train (there aren't many at all per day), its much easier to get a bus or tuk-tuk into Galle. Its not far at all, so I just got a tuk-tuk for 400rps, or 800rps return. For longer journeys, I caught the bus

Edited: 21 December 2012, 05:50
Mentioned in this post
Galle
Galle
London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel from Koggala to Galle

Travel by bus. They are frequent along that road and do the journey quicker than tuk-tuks for a fare of about 40 rupees

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
12,001 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel from Koggala to Galle

The main problem with buses from Koggala to Galle is that most of them are pretty full by then, & obviously there's also the problem of buses not stopping to pick up passengers, you don't know how long you may have to wait beside the road for one

The trip is short enough for a tuk tuk ride to be bearable, only 15 mins or so (400rps is only £2 at the end of the day). I would certainly advise the bus for longer journeys elsewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Koggala Beach Hotel
Koggala Beach Hotel
494 Reviews
Koggala, Sri Lanka
Galle
Galle
Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
590 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel from Koggala to Galle

www.gic.gov.lk/gic/index.php…

As per train schedule, there are only 7 trains per day you can pick between Koggala and Galle. As others also have mentioned, it is not worth the waiting time for a 15 minute train ride.

Also mind you, it's a 10 minute walk from Fortress Hotel to the Railway station. So, you would be spending more than 30 mins for sure.

However I think the tuk tuk to Galle Fort will be about 500-600Rs...

cheers

Tharindu

Mentioned in this post
Koggala Beach Hotel
Koggala Beach Hotel
494 Reviews
Koggala, Sri Lanka
Galle
Galle
Galle Fort
Galle Fort
2,619 Reviews
Galle, Sri Lanka
London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel from Koggala to Galle

In addition to the buses from Matara to Galle which pick up passengers at Koggala, there is a bus terminus at the entrance to the Koggala Free Trade Park, so there is ample opportunity to catch a bus to Galle. The only buses which did not stop for me and others at the bus stop were the express buses, otherwise the buses were keen to pick up passengers and so generate income. The most I had to wait for a bus, over an 11 day holiday, was five minutes. The speed of the buses meant they were much faster than tuk-tuks chugging along at 20 mph max.

Mentioned in this post
Matara
Matara
Southern Province, Sri Lanka
Galle
Galle
Koggala Beach Hotel
Koggala Beach Hotel
494 Reviews
Koggala, Sri Lanka
Rowlands Castle...
Level Contributor
21 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel from Koggala to Galle

Thanks everyone for the useful info, AG

8. Re: Train travel from Koggala to Galle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Koggala
Recent Conversations