We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how safe is the sea in koggala in october?

somerset
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how safe is the sea in koggala in october?

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me how safe the sea is likely to be in koggala in october?

Would hikkaduwa be a better bet for swimming in october or should i just stick to paddling!

I have heard how much nicer the beach is in koggala - is this true?

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,768 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how safe is the sea in koggala in october?

Hi there,

Unsafe. No reef nearby, Unuwatuna would be closest but even that is slightly less swimsafe than the Northern Hikka reef.

So paddling at Koggala or swim at Hikka. I'd disagree that Koggala is MUCH nicer than Hikka beach, it really depends what part of Hikka; the southern part (the surf area, not the swimmable area) is quite wide yellow and palm-fringed too...

Do also mind that sun is not that guaranteed in October, later in the month the 2nd intermonsoon might creep in bringing sunny days and unsettled days.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

somerset
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: how safe is the sea in koggala in october?

Thank you so much for that Erik and Sandya.

Can you advise me if Hikkaduwa would be more suitable than Koggala for a single female traveller?

I don't mind peace and quiet and would quite like to take up some yoga lessons whilst there as well as look at some temples and the local surroundings and be close to the sea.

I fancied either the koggala beach hotel or the coral sands hotel in hikkaduwa. Have you heard of these?

Cheers in advance

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how safe is the sea in koggala in october?

Both places are safe for a female traveler. There is no issues on that. both hotels are mid range hotels and specially Koggala beach hotel was here for 40 years.

somerset
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: how safe is the sea in koggala in october?

Thank you Sam - do you reckon there are places that do yoga in koggala or am i better staying in hikkaduwa?

Koggala beach hotel sounded more peaceful but don't know if they do yoga practice there- maybe you have a better idea?

Are both koggala and hikkaduwa good starting points for exploring temples and local places of interest?

Thanks again

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how safe is the sea in koggala in october?

Don't know any yoga places in Koggala. But in Hikkaduwa you get two instructors called Lyndon & Linda in Kailash Apartments.

If you want to see culture and temples, they are located more in to central and northern part of the country.

somerset
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: how safe is the sea in koggala in october?

Thanks again for your help

Reply to: how safe is the sea in koggala in october?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Koggala
Recent Conversations