We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Boys

Which Beruwala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Beach Boys

Just basically do we trust the Yesor No... have read lots of reviews saying yes but the holiday reps say no...

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,446 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Boys

Hi again

Do we trust??

Difficult one here, you need to get to know them first, not always easy of course, but.... by and large yes i do.

Why would travel reps say no?, easy, they want your business for tours and trips ect, and they know that some good beach boys would beat them on price hands down.

At the end of the day, it's your holiday, and your choice, but i know who i would travel around Sri Lanka with, my own trusted driver, who i will be using again next month!

Sorry Kuoni, you are just too expensive!!

Regards

Dave

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Boys

Hi,

Yes it's very difficult to answer.Sometimes its helpful & sometimes it's a headache.They certainly try to attracrt you for the places they are getiing commsion.But to be on the safe side my advise is to avoid them because you are not sure whether you are on a safe deal or rather unsafe.so better avoid them unless you have had a personal experience earlier with that person.

Nishantha

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Boys

HI, I'd say, it depends on what you want the beach boys for.

If it's for a tour or just a day trip there are plenty of self employed drivers that are as good as the big companies. Better in my opinion, they don't have anyone to pass the buck to, the man responsible is the guy stood right in front of you.

Several people on here have, over a period of time, got to know drivers that can be trusted to give you a good deal. I know Dave has a regular so you could email him for info or myself > R_Boakes@hotmail.com < for recomendations.

Pay the big companies and you're paying a lot for their offices, spare cars standing idle, booking staff, etc. Use a small , self employed guy and the money goes direct to his family and no overheads.

Rod.

Rochester
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Boys

Hi Tigress55,

You do not mention which hotel you are staying at, but have a look at the reviews on Tripadvisor for that particular hotel, and they normally have recommendations for beach guys at that particular hotel.

Why not try a short trip to the turtle hatchery or a boat trip up the Bentota river with the local guides before deciding on a longer trip.

Or ask people staying at you hotel who they have used and what they think of the service.

The reps are around on a regular basis, so do not feel you have to book your trips on the first meeting, this will give you time to decide the best option for you.

Personally we always use the guys on the beach (Syd and Bob and the gang at the Neptune who are 100% reliable), they were recommended to us by a friend who had used them previously, and have been in touch with them on a regular basis ever since (5 years!).

Have a super trip, I can't wait to go back (98 days!) and counting!

Treeney

Dunfermline...
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Boys

I stayed at the Heritance Ahungalla and went on two, two day trips. One with Kuoni and one with Chali and Upul from the beach.

The Kuoni trip guided you towards businesses/sights associated with Kuoni where the Kuoni guide would get commission on what you spent. Although, the guide had a vast knowledge of his country.

I would say that our trip with the guys from the beach was better. We were able to see real Sri Lankan life, they were reliable, thoughtful, always made sure our daughter (6) was enjoying herself. The vehicle they used was the same type as on the Kuoni trip, they booked our hotels and sorted entrance fees for national park/safari etc. Additionally, the money goes directly to a local person rather than into the pocket of a large tour operator.

We made good friends and even visited one of their houses for the Sri Lankan new year.

Lots of other families also used guys on the beach and none of the families that I spoke to had a bad word to say about their experiences.

Hope this helps.

Elaine

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Boys

Hi

I have also used local people for my trips. I recommend that you always take a few precautions first. Ask your prospective driver if:

1 You can see the transport first. Check the tyres and how it is generally maintained

2 Does he have insurance?

3 Can he point you in the direction of somebody in the hotel who has recently been out with him? Follow this up by finding said person/people and get their opinion.

4 Does this driver have an adress you can refer back to in event of a problem? If only a mobile number, that can easily be changed if he wanted to disappear for any reason.

Generally, most have a good reputation, and earn their living by being honest and trustworthy. That is also the culture of the country. If you are at all unsure about a person, there will always be others eager to help.

One last thing, don't be afraid to haggle over the price. If the trip is good, you can always make it up with a good tip.

regards

Steve

7. Re: Beach Boys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 20:16