We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying a ring

lincoln
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
buying a ring

we are going to neptune for two weeks on 5/6/2007 canet wait will i be abel to buy my g/f a ring or two nerby or will i be better going to a city thanks for all your help jupe

Rochester
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying a ring

Hi,

There is a jewellers on site (next door to the gift shop) who make and sell Jewellery. There is also another just down the road out of the Neptune turn left called Princess jewellers.

They are both good jewellers and have been established for a long time, we have bought jewellery from both shops and have always been very pleased with the items.

If you have any problems finding the latter, see the guys on the beach Syd Bob etc and they will show you the way.

Have a great trip

Treeney

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: buying a ring

Hi, whether there's a reputable jeweller any where near your hotel, I don't know but if, at any time you likely to head into Colombo on a shopping trip, then that'd be the best place.

There are quite a few reputable jewellers around the area of the World Trade Centre buildings in Colombo.

Do make sure, that the jeweller is reputable. There's a scheme in Lanka where you can get the stones checked out to make sure they are what you're told they are.

There are some excellent bargains to be had especially with saphires but there are also scams going on so be cautious.

Like most other things, look at several places and compare, don't take the first price offered even after you're bargained a few ruppes off.

Rod.

lincoln
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: buying a ring

thanks for that most helpfull not long to go now

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying a ring

Hi,

I got a beautiful sapphire ansd white gold ring from a place called Ayesha Gems & Jewellery on the Galle Road in Kaluwamodara, Althugama. We were told it was a government approved shop and got a certificate with it.

Barbie

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying a ring

Hi,

I agree with Rod here and would recommend you to come down to Colombo and the trip will very much worth since you will be able to find many trustworthy jewellery shops in Colombo.

Just try out the following,

1. Mallika Hemachandra Jewellers

2. Vouge Jewellers

3. Bullion Exchange

4. Sifani Jewellers

5. Colombo Jewellery Stores

These places are well recommended since they are government approved and have good designs to chose from..

Regards,

Treshi, Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying a ring

Hi,

Agreed with Treshi.Apart from that Aida Bentota is a well reputed name as well.

Nishantha

lincoln
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: buying a ring

thanks for all youre help its been very helpfull im so exited

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buying a ring

biggunLincoln, Hi

we are flying out to SL friday and we are staying at the Neptune

too, like you we cant wait for the next few days to pass.

Carol

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
71 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying a ring

Wehn buying jewellry, is it always best to by from "Government Approved" shops, does this guarantee that you don't get scammed?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,967 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying a ring

Hi there,

No that's too easy. It's some level of guarantee about training etc, and also one can complain and they can loose the title so they are more cautious. So for Gems, still insist on a quality certificate and when in Colombo, do visit the Gem board with the seller to get the true value. And still try bargaining...

Have fun,

E + S