We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wedding and FO safety concerns - help!!

Which Beruwala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
wedding and FO safety concerns - help!!

Hi!

We are busy trying to plan our wedding for next year. We originally thought of Bali, but it's going to work out too expensive for us to get there for next year. In the last few days, we have thought about sri lanka and can get a great deal on eden resort and spa in Beruwela, the wedding package seems great too. Its within our budget and much cheaper (and i think more memorable) than a wedding here in the uk.

My mum will not come because she is scared of the growing terrorism (though she was scared too go to bali too due to the bali bombings - which were years ago). We've done a wee bit of research on the advice for ski lanka from the foreign office, we're still keen to go but anxious to avoid any places which are considered unsafe. In Beruwela, how close are we to any of these 'unsafe' areas? And does this mean we will miss out on a lot of sightseeing and shopping - will it have a huge impact on our holiday there?

Like Bali, i know Sri lanka is a poor country - we are not expecting the maldives. We just want a laidback wedding and honeymoon to somewhere completley different to any other holiday we've been on, with plenty of cultural sightseeing and adventures, but I dont want to go if i'm going to have to spend most our time stuck in a hotel scared to go out?!

Will we be able to get a real taste of sri lanka??

Any advice appreciated, many thanks!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: wedding and FO safety concerns - help!!

well - have been on foreign office site again and started typing in any random countries i could think of (france, italy etc) - and they all said about threats of terrorism and gave scary statistics!!!

So thats it - we're going to sri lanka and we'll just be careful. After all, we're probably more likely to get stabbed or run down by a bus here in the uk !

any advice or thoughts about my previous post still gratefully recieved, be glad of the reasurrance!

thanks again!

sylvia

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wedding and FO safety concerns - help!!

Hi

No need to worry too much - you will have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon in Sri Lanka.

If you have not read already, here are some recent threads on the subject:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k2…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297897-i9960-k2…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k2…

Hans

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: wedding and FO safety concerns - help!!

Hi Hans

Thanks for your reply. I booked the flights, hotel and wedding today, so we're definatley going!!

We're flying out on the 15th of july next year for 2 weeks, staying and marrying at the Eden resort and spa in Beruwela!

We are so excited!!!

I think we've done the right thing and are just going to get on with the excitement of planning our wedding and trip.

We will be careful about what areas to visit, public transport, staying away from goverment buildings etc - but we're not going to let these scares ruin our visit and wedding.

I spoke to a couple of people today who have been there or know others that have, and they all loved it. Someone did tell me about their friend who arrived safely at colombo airport, the next day the airport was bombed - dont know how long ago that was, but that is pretty scary?!

Thanks for the threads you posted for me to look at, i'll be looking on this forum all the time now, its great!

Thanks

sylvia

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wedding and FO safety concerns - help!!

Hi Sylvia

LTTE did attack the Airforce Base at Katunayake (the airbase and the airport share runways) in July 2001. Some SriLankan Airlines planes (empty) got destroyed, but no tourists (and other civilians) got hurt, and no damage to the airport.

LTTE dropped a couple of small bombs on the airbase in April 2007 destroying a couple of Airforce helicopters and jets, but the airport as such was not targetted.

LTTE has never targetted tourist ddirectly during the more than 25 years of unrest.

Hans

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: wedding and FO safety concerns - help!!

thats reasurring news - my friend seemed to think a lot of people were injured at that time. I've read on here somewhere that there have been no attacks in or close by Beruwela - is that right?

I must admit i know very little about sri lanka at present. When we thought we were going to bali, i spent any spare time researching on the internet, tripadvisor, and guide books and i felt like i knew the place as well as i could without having actually been there - now we're not going i am kind of starting from scratch again!

Whereabouts have you stayed when you have been to sri lanka? Do you feel quite confident wherever you go there or do you avoid certain areas?

thanks hans

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wedding and FO safety concerns - help!!

Hi again

There have never been any attacks in or close by Beruwela.

My base in SL is between Aluthgama and Beruwala (about 1-1½ km from Eden).

The only places I avoid are Northern and Eastern Provinces. As a precaution I avoid public transport (busses & trains - not only for safety, they are cheap but usually more than overcrowded), military bases, government buildings, large gatherings etc.

I go to Colombo for shopping etc. despite warnings on this forum to stay clear of Colombo.

To be honest - I'm more scared of the traffic in SL than getting hit by a terrorist attack.

Hans

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: wedding and FO safety concerns - help!!

haha - yes, i have read the roads and traffic can be a bit dodgy!!

Glad to hear you visit beside the same area of sri lanka as we'll be in and that these parts have always been trouble free.

Yeah, we'll follow the same safety guidelines as you do, only sensible to be aware i reckon. Not too sure if we'll be shopping in Colombo yet as it does seem to be 1 of the places NOT to go, will have to research that a lot more. It also depends on if thats where all the good shops are cos i want to bring plenty of souvineers back (and i do love shopping so i might risk it lol)!

thanks for the help

sylvia

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wedding and FO safety concerns - help!!

No need to go to Colombo to buy souvenirs (handicraft, batiks, teas), aplenty are available around Aluthgama/Beruwala).

I usually only go to Colombo to

- buy clothes (House of Fasshions has a great choice at cheap prices) or electronics

- extend my visa

- change my flight ticket

- watch a cricket match

Hans

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wedding and FO safety concerns - help!!

Hi Sylvia,

Hope you are not going to restict your visit to Beruwala and its environs....there is so much to see in Sri Lanka. Maybe devote at least 1 week (out of your 2 week stay) to visiting places such as:

1. The Temple of the Tooth (Kandy)

2. Ancient Ruins in Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa

3. Sigiriya, Dambulla and Yapahuwa which can be covered with 2 above and

4. Hill Country - Nuwara Eliya/ Haputale

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: wedding and FO safety concerns - help!!

Hi there

yeah, plan to get in as much sight seeing as possible. Have just recently decided on and booked our sri lanka trip, so still researching what there is to see and do - thanks for your recommendations by the way!

Roughly how long will it take to Kandy from Beruwela and also to the elephant orphanage?

Thanks

sylvia