We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

* BEWARE - swimming in the sea...*

London
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
* BEWARE - swimming in the sea...*

Just a quick warning...

DO NOT think your rep/other people warn you about swimming in the sea for no reason because the sea is VERY rough this time of year and the undercurrent is very very strong.

I have just returned from The Neptune and while we was there, an apparently fit English man in his 60's thought better of the advice people had given him and went for a swim in the sea. He lost his life shortly after being pulled under by the undercurrent.

Even after this happened people seemed to think it was still ok to swim in the sea, to me personally its just stupid. The reps dont earn anything by warning you its for your own safety so please please listen to them and stick to the pool!

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: * BEWARE - swimming in the sea...*

Hi,

To add a little emphasis to what jenjen has said.

This unfortunate incident is not rare in Sri Lanka.

There are usually quite a few deaths each year due to drowning in the sea on the Lankan coast.

I was in Polhenna a couple of years ago and while I was there three local guys were drowned . Also , I heard of a death while staying in Narigama, Hikkaduwa and again while I was at Negombo.

The paragraph below is part of the UK FO warnings regarding Sri Lanka.

--------------------------------------------------

Sea bathing

There are dangerous undercurrents and strong riptides in many coastal areas of Sri Lanka. A number of cases of drowning of foreign nationals have occurred in recent months. You should follow local advice, e.g. from your hotel, before bathing in the sea.

-----------------------------------------------------

All the DE,s on here are constantly warning of dangerous seas around Lanka.

As jenjen said, take care.

Rod.

Mentioned in this post
Hikkaduwa
Hikkaduwa
Galle District, Sri Lanka
Negombo
Negombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: * BEWARE - swimming in the sea...*

Hi Jenjen & Rod...

Could not agree more with what you have both said, the seas around Sri Lanka are DEADLY and should be treated with respect at ALL times, whether that be in high season, or monsoon times.

During my last visit (March to May) this year, i too sadly witnessed a tragedy where i was staying, this was a group of locals celebrating a birthday, they were warned about the conditions by hotel lifeguards, but sadly chose to ignore this and went swimming after drinking a fair amount of beers/arrack ect, some were rescued by the hotel lifeguards who themselves put thier lives at risk, but sadly they could not reach one other.

Sad story, but 100% true, and serves as a warning to others, so please do take heed of what hotel lifeguards tell you, they are there for your safety and not just for fun.

Regards

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: * BEWARE - swimming in the sea...*

agreed,i have been to and swum in at least 6 asian countrys and consider swimming in sri lanka the most dangerous of them all.its always dangerous ,even more so in the off season..

though to balance that,i am a fairly weak swimmer,but i understand the sea and waves,i stay close to shore ,never more than chest deep and spend a lot of time in the sea but not in the off season.

nuneaton
Level Contributor
669 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: * BEWARE - swimming in the sea...*

how very right you are lets hope we all read this,cheers davro

essex
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: * BEWARE - swimming in the sea...*

I have made my three teenagers read this as I think it is very important to fully understand the dangers - especially at their age as they do know it all don't they?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: * BEWARE - swimming in the sea...*

Totaly agree, I am a good swimmer but the currents are unbelievable, Just like a strong river running ender the sea. This I also experienced in Goa It pulled me about 250 mts down the cost, So be very carefull.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
nuneaton
Level Contributor
669 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: * BEWARE - swimming in the sea...*

just to put this back on top for poeple to see

essex
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: * BEWARE - swimming in the sea...*

good idea - everyone holidaying should be aware of this information

SUFFOLK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: * BEWARE - swimming in the sea...*

I was there early May last year, and yes it is very dangerous. We were told not to go out beyond our waists, this we adhered to strictly, but i still found the current could get stronger very quick, i actually had to pull my mum out with all my strength, as it was sweeping her sideways and she couldn't move forward because of the under current.

please please be careful.

regards

Jan

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: * BEWARE - swimming in the sea...*

Barberyn Reef is a beautiful property with a long sea front sheltered by a natural reef running the length of the property forming a natural swim lagoon. It is one of the few resorts that can be described as being literally "on the beach" with a garden setting. Sand stretches for miles along the shore and soon guests will have a choice of swimming in a wave shaped large swimming pool overlooking the ocean.

Like everyone has mentioned earlier I also strongly recommend that all guests must listen to the hotel lifeguard at all time because they know when it is really safe and not safe. By the way even if you are swimming at the reef, it is strongly advisable not to go to end of the reef that opens to the beach and always stay in the middle part of the reef in front of the Barberyn Reef Hotel. I also advise to use the swimming pool during the heavy rainy season if you are swimming in the Beruwela beach because water from the rivers to the beach from the water canals.

If you want to see pictures of the Beruwela reef and beach scenes, please reply to this post or mail me.