We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ella

Which Beruwala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Ella

I am thinking of heading to Ella in Dec as it sounds like a great place to chill out with nature, walks etc

Can anyone recommend going there and anywhere to stay ?

Is it likely to be fairly cold and wet?

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ella

Hi,

It has a very comfortable climate. You get trains from Colombo to Ella and would be a very scenic but little time consuming than bus.

Lots of things to do - Ella gap, Hortan plains, Rawana falls. Demodara loop are few examples.

My favorite place sunnyside holiday bungalow in Ella.

Nishantha

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ella

Thanks.

I am planning to take the train from Ella to Colombo, but I wondered whether there is a way to get from Unawatuna to Ella or is it better to go via Colombo?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ella

There are few daily direct buses from Matara (about 35 km from Unawatuna) to Ella (Bandarawela).

Otherwise take a Hambantota bound bus from Unawatuna. From Hambantota you can get a bus to Wellawaya and on to Ella.

Hans

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ella

Thanks very much

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ella

Hi,

From Unawatuna it's much better and quicker to get the bus .

Best is definitely to get the straight through bus from Matara to Ella. As alrerady mentioned, you can get a bus from Wellawaya but some of these are small local buses and it can be dificult to get on as the route does get very busy.

When you're in Unawatuna you could get your guest house / hotel reception to phone through to Matara bus stand to find out the time of the direct bus from Matara to Ella. Then it's easy to get from Unawatuna to Matara by either bus, train or tuk tuk/taxi.

Word of warning on the bus,, luggage space is very restricted .. My back pack just about squeezes under a seat but bigger than that and you could struggle with it.

Couple of good places to stay in Ella.

The Tea Garden Holiday Inn....Tel; +94-(0)-57-2228860....If you go here ask for one of the top rooms. There are two rooms above everything else , excellent rooms with modern en-suite and a huge wrap around 270 degree balcony with fantastic views of mountains and the Ella gap.

OR,, the Sun Top Inn,18 Police Station Road, Ella.,,+94-(0)-57-2228673

A small family run guest house. Lovely rooms, modern en-suite, hasnt got such good views as the Tea garden but very cosy and homely atmosphere.

Some of the attractions have been mentioned but the two main walks there are to... Little Adams Peak,, A walk along little country lanes, through the edge of a pine forest, through a tea plantation and up to the peak. Not too strenuous.

Also the walk up to Ella Rock. A steeper walk but still OK, along the railway track and then up the mountain side through a forest.

Rod,.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ella

Thanks very much.

I was also wondering about the Ella adventure park and whetehr anyone has any comments about that?

Anne

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ella

Hi, I stayed at Ella Adventure Park on my Honeymoon four years ago. I likeit very much. it is different to most other hotels. I can send pix if you want. But I recently read in Trip Advisor the service has gone down a bit. If this is OK with you,it really is a special place.

They have a set of small Chalets hidden in the forest and overlooking the mountains with fantastic views.It is out of this world in my openion.

Also, if you have time, you can ask them to take you also to the 'adventure camp site' This is another 'campsite hotel' run by the same company and it is a 2km walk from the road.

Whereas Ella Adventure Park is just by the main road.

Unwaruna to Ella -

Bus from Unwatuna to Matara.

In Matara catch an Air Conditioned Intercity Express bus to Bandarawela.

Ella is on the way about 1 hour before Bandarawela. But in the Intercity buses you will have to pay the full fare.

From any other place like Hambantota, you will get only non air-conditioned regular buses. 9half theprice of A/C)

from Matara

Hope this helps.

My mail is - koththi(at)gmail.com

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ella

Hi

We stayed at a little guest house at ella gap for a night this year called the panarama.It is cheap cheerfull,only has 3 guestrooms,serves fantastic food and has views to die for.Maybe look them up.

london
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ella

Hi !

Was at a place called the Morning Mist Guest House, now it has been renamed the Orient Adventure Villas. Set in an isolated very peaceful valley, it is a superb location. it is reached by going through the Poonagala road and turning off to the Makulu Ella (waterfalls). Down by the Guest House is a stream, which you can walk along, and after about 40 mts, hey presto, you are looking from top of the Rawana Waterfalls, Amazing view.

Cheers !

Richard.

10. Re: Ella

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 November 2009, 21:05