We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first trip in 2010

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
first trip in 2010

My partner and i are planning on visiting Sri Lanka next year for the first time. We were looking at staying at club palm gardens as it is a reasonable price and looks good. I was wondering if people could tell emthe prices of the trips through first choice as we would be travelling with them and through local tour operators for the elepant sancturay and trip to kandy and the temple of the tooth and any other you would recommened

many thanks steph and Larry

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first trip in 2010

Hi,

Doing a trip to Elephant Orphanage and Kandy as a 1 day trip will be a very long day including minimum 8 hours driving, so better do it with an overnight stay in Kandy.

For a 2 days tour to Elephant Orphanage and Kandy a local tour operator will charge you around:

Transport LKR 14,000-15,000

Hotel - double room with half board LKR 6,000-8,000

Entrance fees:

Elephant Orphanage LKR 2,000 x 2

Kandy Dance LKR 500 x 2

Tooth Temple LKR 500 x 2

Botanical Gardens LKR 800 x 2

For a 1 day trip the transport will cost around LKR 13,000-14,000.

Hans

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first trip in 2010

Hi Steph & Larry...

The trip costs that Hans has listed will NOT be as per First Choice prices, thiers would be considerably higher than that

Maybe put First Choice, or "Last Choice" as they have become known as here on TA into the search box, and see what others had to say about them in recent times, not good reading as you will see.

Maybe you will be better off considering another tour company, for instance Dream Ticket, or Mercury Direct, at least they will get you there with no problems, and a cheaper cost too !!

Regards

Dave

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: first trip in 2010

Hi,

further to what Dave has said about 1st Choice.

I've sat in on one of their welcome talks and could hardly believe what the rep was telling the holiday group that had just arrived.

I know one particular trip he was selling, visiting the Elephant Orphanage at Pinawella, as a day trip from a Negombo hotel, was ludicrous.

The way 1st Choice priced their trips, working it out per person on the transport side, it worked out that in a 12 seater mini bus, one persons charge payed for the bus hire. One persons charge payed for everyones entry fee to the orphanage and the charge from the other ten was all profit.

When you hire your own driver / guide, you pay per vehicle, not each person. So a taxi van for maybe 6 people would cost about 6000 to 6500 rupees a day. ie. 1000 rupees each... 1st Choice charge would be 6000 rupees each person.

36,000 rupees for transport for the same 6 people.

Same principle applies on all of their trips.

Combine that with all their broken promises and letting people down, I'm surprised that they are still in business.

Rod.

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first trip in 2010

Couldnt agree more with Rod,do your trips with local guides.The big tour companies are overpriced and take you places you dont want to go,ie shops where they collect a healthy commision on everything you buy.

We were there 3 months ago and booked a local guide through the internet.

We had an airconditioned minibus and didnt have any other passengers,so our guide was exclsive to us,he took us on a 5 day 4 night tour on a BB basis for the princeley sum of £250 for 2 of us.

At the end of a fantastic 5 days we had made a true friend who we stay in touch with still.So please avoid the big boys,you will have a far better experience in a truly remarkable country.

kandy
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: first trip in 2010

hey friends

i really dont think that kandy deserves a van for hire.the place is compact and everything on the list is basically within sight. trip to botanical gardens only need a tuk tuk ,cost 500 maximum,local bus 15 rupees from town .take the train to kandy from colombo, ideallyb the intercity express. dont worry that one simply crawls up the hill most of the journey. the experience is itself worth it.kandy is reasonably safe enough to walk about.

a non a/c van for day hire from kandy will cost around 25 rupees per km.waiting charge 100 rupees per hour[ cab service charges]

kelum

England
Level Contributor
53 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first trip in 2010

I did the 3 day trip in September as reccomended by Hans. Fanatstic trip and guide, great value and 40% cheaper than the tour operator. Please contact me if you require further details.

7. Re: first trip in 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 November 2009, 08:05
8. Re: first trip in 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2010, 05:18