We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pinnawala Orphanage

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Pinnawala Orphanage

Hi ,

We are staying in eden resort in Beruwala from tues 10th sept for 12 nights , please could anyone recommend a reputable person / company who can organise a day trip to pinnawala elephant orphanage . I know its not ideal to do it all in one day but the couple with us want it done this way

Many thanks.

Guide in Sri Lanka
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
Dara Gems & Jewellery
Gift & Speciality Shops
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pinnawala Orphanage

Have you read this thread...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k6…

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pinnawala Orphanage

HI,

Suggest you check with your hotel and they will help you but the charges will be higher. Try sending PM's to regular forum users to get recommendations of drivers. Sorry I m not in a position to helps as I do not have any personal experience with drivers and tour operators here.

Rgds,

Treshi.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pinnawala Orphanage

ok , thanks for the reply

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pinnawala Orphanage

We have dropped a visit to this so called orphanage due to poor press, and doing an evening safari in national park near sigiriya instead......

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pinnawala Orphanage

good call JudgeM.

sheffield
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pinnawala Orphanage

sent you a pm with a name of a recommended tour guide

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pinnawala Orphanage

I was in the National Park Minneriya today and saw many elephants - about 150 - including several small babies. While they were in the same smallish area they were in several groups with some in the water. Lovely to see the babies enjoying the water so much that they had to be tugged and nudged by aunties before they would come out and continue the walk into the vegetation.

As it was a cool, cloudy day and we had arrived early we decided to enter the park at 1 PM so there were only 5 other jeeps there, all observing respectful distances from the grazing elephants. Despite that, one elephant did put up a charge, leaving the herd to come a considerable distance to do so.

As we came out we passed 59 jeeps hurrying in so we were there at the best time.

A very enjoyable experience for us.

Costs: SLR 6000 for the jeep, 500 tip for the jeep driver who was great at spotting birds and other wildlife too, 250 for the ranger who did little other than to smile three times,. Park fees: Rs 60 for local people x3, Rs 1945 for foreign visitors. There were also three other charges of Rs250 itemised as J1COVOBuOBuO V whatever that is, service charge Rs1037.52 and VAT Rs642.

So, more expensive than Pinnewala but no contest as to the best place for elephants.

Archi

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,477 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pinnawala Orphanage

I can't help wondering why it is that a number of people have indicated on the forum that they can no longer visit Pinnawala. We last visited there a couple of years ago and thought it was wonderful. When we arrived late morning all the elephants were over the other side of the river dong "elephant stuff" and were completely free to wander wherever they wanted.

Just after lunch it was incredible to watch as some mahouts waded out into the river and called the elephants, who came trundling back, taking their own sweet time about it.

We, as animal lovers, most certainly didn't see anything untoward in the way these wonderful creatures were being treated. Has the place changed so dramatically since our visit that people are being warned away?

Edited: 08 September 2013, 08:19
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pinnawala Orphanage

travelkat,

not everything is as it seems: bornfree.org.uk/uploads/media/Pinnewala_repo…

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pinnawala Orphanage

That link is more than 7 years old;-)

Hans

Get answers to your questions about Beruwala
Recent Conversations