We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket Prices

Which Olhos de Agua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rotherham
Level Contributor
484 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket Prices

Can anyone please give me an idea of prices in the supermarket.

We are staying in an appartment so we are staying in for lunch and eating out at night.

Hope you can help

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket Prices

British /imported goods very expensive not much difference overall for bread/milk and general groceries than the uk, wines beers a lot cheaper,soft drinks same as uk,use the bigger of the two supermarkets in Olhos for fractionally cheaper/more selection its the one on the main road not the one in the centre of the village, for realy fresh fish and good priced fruit and veg use the municipal market next to the supermarket

Edited: 25 May 2011, 18:21
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,047 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket Prices

Most things are cheaper than in the UK except for imported UK brands of course.The small 'corner shops' are more expensive than the bigger stores, just as they are in the UK.

Here's what I bought earlier today as a few examples

1 litre own brand orange juice 66 cents

1 litre full fat milk (non UHT) 79 cents

1 litre own brand washing up liquid €1.04

1 litre liquid yogurt €1.59

1kg pork steaks for grilling €3,00

4 fairly large Starking apples €1,00

800g sliced loaf (proper bread) €1,30

200g cheese slices for sandwiches €1,99

1.5 litre botle of Fanta Lemon 99 cents

If you go to one of he big stores websites www.continente.pt you can get the prices of just about anything. Remember that prices do vary across supermarket chains. In Olhos D'Agua the biggest and best supermarket is Intermarché.

I hope that helps.

Pentraeth, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket Prices

I'm staying at the Aparthotel Olhos de Agua, is the Intermarche supermarket far from our hotel? We're self catering so we'll need to stock up at some point on our first day.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket Prices

supermarket 100 yrds from you in village centre larger one on main road about 300 yrds thats the intermarche next to municipal market that sells fantastic fresh fish and veg, theres also a british food shop within 200 yards

but beware of prices for british food,obviously because of transport costs etc but frankly theres nothing I would want to buy (spaghetti hoops anyone) if its just drinks and milk/bread etc then the village supermarket is perfectly adequate, has all kinds of fresh bread delivered each morning and good selection of things for lunch

Edited: 28 June 2011, 21:29
Pentraeth, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket Prices

Oh that's great, thanks for you reply. I've found this map, it's a pdf file. At the very bottom of the page is a very simple map of Olhos de Agua with the supermarkets on.

http://freemaps.net/maps/newtown2.pdf

I think our hotel is next to the Oceanus hotel???

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,047 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarket Prices

JonesMeisterGeneral2 you are correct, it is right next door.

Pentraeth, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarket Prices

Thanks for confirming :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
277 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarket Prices

Thanks for the link to the map of Olhos D'Agua, we will be there for the first time end of August.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarket Prices

Have to take issue with the idea that groceries are cheaper then the UK..with the current exchange rate this is not the case. Fruit and salad stuffs are however cheap as is alcohol. A vegetarian alcoholic could live very cheaply

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,047 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarket Prices

This is true and when you consider that the average Portuguese wage is 1/3rd that of the UK it is impossible to live here..

Hence the great social unrest.

It is cheap for UK visitors because the UK does not have VAT on food.

Get answers to your questions about Olhos de Agua