We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus question for Cubsur - Monchique

ireland
Level Contributor
356 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Bus question for Cubsur - Monchique

Hi Cubsur,

I wondered is it possible to get to Monchique by local bus ourselves instead of having to go on an organised trip ( we wont be hiring a car). Any advise you can give would be very much appreciated as usual.

Thanks,

Catherine

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,901 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus question for Cubsur - Monchique

Fairly hideous journey I am afraid, involving three buses. The trip is not feasible at weekends without very long waits between buses all along the way. The local bus company has a view that people do not need to travel at weekends, so services are very few and far between on most routes.

For a day out, setting off at a reasonable hour, I can only suggest these itineraries which work only during the week.

Olhos D'Agua to Albufeira Bus Station 0812 arrive 0830

Albufeira Bus Station to Portimão 0840 arrive 0940 or 0855 arrive 0945

Portimão to Monchique 1000 arrive 1045

or, about an hour later

Olhos D'Agua to Albufeira Bus Station 0922 arrive 0940

Albufeira Bus Station to Portimão 1000 arrive 1050

Portimão to Monchique 1100 arrive 1145

but ten minutes between buses at Portimão is cutting it a bit fine, especially as the Albufeira - Portimão buses are usually delayed by traffic and also the stop for the Monchique buses is about 100 yards from where the other one arrives.

Coming back

Monchique to Portimão 1530 arrive 1615

Portimão to Albufeira 1640 arrive 1725

Albufeira to Olhos D'Agua 1730,1735 or 1800, arrive 18 minutes later.

There is a 1700 bus from Monchique to Portimão on schooldays only which gets to Portimão at 1745, but then there is nearly an hour's wait for the next bus to Albufeira at 1840. This bus is supposed to get to Albufeira at 1925 (although it's usually 10 - 15 minutes late) where it transforms itself into the 1930 last bus to Olhos D'Agua.

The last bus from Monchique is at 1815 but gets to Portimão after the last bus to Albufeira has gone.

I hope that helps, off-putting though I know it will read.

ireland
Level Contributor
356 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus question for Cubsur - Monchique

Cubsur,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply with such a lengthy and informative answer. I think it might have to be an organised trip after all, thats if we can pull ourselves away from the lovely olhas !!

3. Re: Bus question for Cubsur - Monchique

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:42
Get answers to your questions about Olhos de Agua
Recent Conversations