We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road from Airport to Alykanas

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
228 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Road from Airport to Alykanas

This may seem an odd question, but here goes. My husband and myself will be holidaying in Alykanas and are hiring a car for pick-up at the airport, but I have this awful fear of heights (I might add I will not be driving) and am wondering what the roads are like from the airport to Alykanas and also in general on the island. Will the drive from the airport be way up in the mountains? Last year we holidayed on Kefelonia, which was a lovely island, but the roads were quite bad and very high up with hair-pin bends.

benidorm
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road from Airport to Alykanas

From the airport to Alykanas the road is as flat as a pancake. You can get round most of the island without having to scale any mountains.

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,697 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road from Airport to Alykanas

Roads around the island are generally okay and liken to rural country roads in the u.k. Many need repairing and re-surfacing and we've seen many a road repair crew when out and about. The route up from the airport is quiete easy. From the terminal building head up the long wide straight road up to the Tee junction at the top taking care crossing the unmarked crossroads around half way along. From the tee junction turn right and proceed along to the traffic lights where you will take the filter lane diagnally to the left slightly uphill. Carry on up to the next set of lights with the big "Eurospar" on your left, then turn left again taking care to go to the far side of this wide junction.

Proceed along out through the outskirts of Zante town travelling North on this the main Katistari road. Look for the Alykanas signpost just past the bowling alley on the right, turn right there and stay on this road right up to Alykanas and Alykes. The church perched right on top of the hill on your right as you approach Alykanas is a great landmark to get your bearings should you get lost. Total journey time for the first time driving reasonably slowly should take you no more than about 40-45 mins.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road from Airport to Alykanas

Presume you won't be flying then! Roads are fine, if you don't want to be up in the hills then don't go.

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
228 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road from Airport to Alykanas

MSG for Mosley97 - Most people who have a fear of heights are not frightened of flying, it's not the same. You can't go over the edge in a plane but you can in a car. So I presume you don't have a problem with heights!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
361 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road from Airport to Alykanas

Know exactly what you mean Misty....I'm the same.

If you do decide to head into the hills the "main" roads and the coast road up the east of the island are not too bad; you're on the side of hills really, and though there's the odd hairpin there are no precipitous drops....just steepish slopes (I get mildly anxious at times but it's not too bad).

The main central road through the mountains is fine also....so if you wanted to go to Volimes/Anafonitria for example and head south through Maries etc you'll be fine.

I just wouldn't head off on the small roads, particularly towards the west coast, which IS precipitous in places....I'm guessing you'll be giving the shipwreck viewing platform a wide berth? I would't go within a mile of the thing!

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
228 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road from Airport to Alykanas

Thank you very much Tram_Magnet for your comments, they were most welcome. It's just that while Kefelonia was so lovely, where we were staying, whichever road we took was so high up and the roads so narrow and full of holes etc. but it doesn't sound like Zante is as bad. Thanks again. Do you have any recommendations reference places to visit etc.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
361 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road from Airport to Alykanas

As I said to someone else recently, it's difficult to advise without knowing what sort of thing you're looking for.

History/culture/beaches/karaoke(yuk)/boat trips/watersports/shopping.....give us a bit more information and I'm sure you'll get plenty of tips.

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
228 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road from Airport to Alykanas

Well to start off we are a couple in our late 60s, and this trip is to celebrate our Golden Wedding anniversary. We will be staying in Alykanis in a hotel (Valais) which is I think on the beach.

We are not party people, we like a couple of hours max, on the beach in the mornings and then walk checking out surrounding areas. In the evenings we like to eat out at different places where the locals go preferably and ideally we'd love to find a place where the locals who eat in the tavernas get up and dance.

We are also hiring a car for the durations of our stay. So, do you have recommendations to eat and little interesting villages and places to visit, without going on roads high up with sheer drops.

Thank you.

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,697 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road from Airport to Alykanas

Yes plenty of places in and around both villages of Alykanas and Alykes.

Lemon tree (old Alykanas), Vrisaki (Alykanas), Cosy Corner ( Alykanas right near your hotel) Vagi's (Alykanas), La Carretta (Alykanas), Fidelio's (Alykes), Golden Dolphin beach bar (Alykes), Mantelena's (Alykanas) Karras (Amoudi), Amoudi Taverna (Amoudi), Potamaki (Alykes).

Just a few there in and closely around the area off the top of my head, and yes the Valais is right on the beach. The Mill bar right next door set back off the beachfront road is lovely too !!!!!!

Edited: 30 January 2013, 16:15
Hull, England
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road from Airport to Alykanas

Hi Misty, I also worry about heights (but am OK with flying, and insist on the window seat so I can see the view) and have been known to use Google Earth to check out a place prior to booking by checking the elevation points and terrain!! If it looks like the roads have cliff edges, I don't book. Anyway, I can confirm what others have said - the road from the airport to Alykes/Alykanas is fine. Just a word of warning though, we drove from Alykes to Tsilivi via Amoudi (lovely beach) and on the way back we must have taken a wrong turn as we ended up on the top of a hill next to the church that someone mentioned in an earlier post (I think it is Gerakas ?? or something beginning with a G that is similarly named) - the road down from there was narrow, hair-pin bends and completely scary for me. I would have got out of the car and walked if my husband had let me. I was just so thankful that we didn't meet anything coming the other way as we were on the "drop" edge of the road. I would love to go to Xigia and Keri and a host of other places on the island but this silly fear of cliff edges on roads just kills the adventurer in me - unless anyone can convince me the roads are not as bad as my imagination and Google Earth suggests? I'm sure you will enjoy the visit - the beaches and sea water are lovely; lots of lovely restaurants and you can be sure of the usual warm Greek welcome. Hope you enjoy your holiday - and if anyone can give me any re-assuring low routes to Keri, Xigia etc (or warn me of the places not to go) I would be grateful. Many thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Alykanas
Recent Conversations