We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taverna touts

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Topic
taverna touts

Been a few times to Alykanas and there's a few tavernas with waiters or spotters trying to get you in. Most are fine but some are a little too pushy for my liking. The end result is that we will not go in during the holiday. We spend evenings in many different tavernas and bars and spread our money about but will not b pushed anywhere. Cosy Corner is an exception where its quality and word of mouth doesn't need any of this. Has the trend got better or worse in the resort?

Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taverna touts

We went last September didn't get hassled apart from a girl on the beach from Memories restaurant who was a real pest every day so obviously we never went near the plsce!

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taverna touts

Same here, only place that really had a go was Memories restaurant. Don't eat anywhere that pesters holiday makers.

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taverna touts

Totally agree about the Memories girl (Diana?), we cross the road to try to avoid her but it doesn't always work!

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: taverna touts

And another to say that Diana hassled us too. Memories were really pushy, some other places had greeters but none were as pushy. Although they were not rude, it just feels awkward.

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taverna touts

I must say that when we've eaten in Memories the meal has always been fine but I do agree that P.R.'s simply are'nt needed in this great little resort.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 12:46
Cullompton, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taverna touts

"Memories" was great for the couple of years it was Costa's......2004 and 2005 I think...it was the first restaurant we ever ate at in Alykanas and we had many great nights there; not been in since for the very same reason others have said. I don't like to be harassed, don't know why they do it because I'm sure it's counter productive.

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taverna touts

good pr's are worth there weight in gold but just to many bad pr's about.i should know ive done it and was asked to return the following season.a really good pr worked at castaways in argassi,his name was stuart and people would walk up the hill just to have a chat with him even if not going into the restaurant.

Redcar, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taverna touts

Hi all,regular vistors might remember the guy who used to tout outside Katerinas Kitchen when it was open near Plessas Palace,he was a bit of a pain in the a**e,Also a couple of seasons ago there was another,young lad who used to verge on rudeness outside Relax in Alykes,I saw him again somewhere in Alykanas last year but can`t remember which restaurant it was.Diana might be a bit of a pain,but quite a pretty pain,IMO. :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taverna touts

Diana at Memories is a pain,told her that I've been walking past her for three years when leaving Plessas Palace and I've put Memories on my list but if she keeps stopping me I'll remove it.Never been in and never will unless it becomes Cosy Corner 2..

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taverna touts

I'd forgotten about that bloke outside Katerinas Kitchen, yes he was a REAL pain. I also remember the rude Relax PR man. I wonder what this year's visit will bring......

Get answers to your questions about Alykanas
Recent Conversations