We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to pay and how much

Which Alykanas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Market drayton
5 posts
Save Topic
Best way to pay and how much

Trying to plan how to take money on card or cash . What's easiest . Also we are going for two weeks how much to take for a couple

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to pay and how much

Hi I also am after advice on this, posted a while back but got no replies. From what I've read on here on previous threads people seem to be saying take cash, I was thinking of taking a Thomas cook cash card but I've also read that the bars/restaurants don't like accepting them.

It's going to be my first time to zante just don't know what's the best thing to do???

northwich
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to pay and how much

Hi ive always taken cash but i know thomas cook do a debit type card which your 'load' your money onto then use as normal i budget for a €100 euros a day but if you dont go mad you should be coming home with quite a few prices in alykanas and alykes are reasonable but staples like coffee tea etc in the shops arr a little pricy i can guarantee youll have a fantastic time there hope yhat helps

England
Level Contributor
418 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to pay and how much

Cash is king here. Exchange rate better in UK.

Enjoy your holiday.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to pay and how much

Loads of posts on this subject.

Everyone has their own preference. We take about £1000 worth of euros & then take our debit card to withdraw cash from the atms as we need it. We always take a credit card as back-up just in case but we've never needed it. The post office credit card is free to use worldwide. We used to take sterling & change over there but the rate in Zante is really bad compared to UK so we change here now. Many people use holiday cash cards but I don't see the point, I've got a good deal with my debit card so I think it makes more sense just to use that.

As to how much you'd need, again there's been loads of threads on this. Everyone is different but you could manage easily on €100 per day, although you could easily spend that amount in 1 night!!

Have a look through the old topics on the forum & you'll find loads of info. Next to the weather these are probably the most talked about subjects.

P.S. very few bars & restaurants will take any type of card, but you could use it for car hire & other bigger purchases. Even then everywhere prefers cash.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 18:51
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to pay and how much

I used the Thomas cook pre loaded card a couple of years ago while I went to Majorca and had no problems it was accepted everywhere. I read on the Greece forums that they don't like them because they don't get the cash instantly, they have to wait up to 24 hours for the money??? However I feel talking a thousand pounds in cash is a little risky??

northwich
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to pay and how much

Alykanas/Alykes are probably the safest places you could visit never seen as much as an argument

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to pay and how much

I suppose it's what you feel comfortable with. We use the hotel safe & as I said it works for us but everyone has their own preferences.

The bars & restaurants don't like cards because it can take a lot longer than 24 hours to get into their accounts. The Greek banks are a law unto themselves. If you take a card just use it at the atms & pay for everything in cash. If you try to pay by card you'll be surprised how times you hear "oh the machine just broke" or the phone line isn't working. Keep some cash in your safe as a back-up just in case the atm is empty, it happens occasionally during peak periods & they have to come from the mainland to fill them usually. There's plenty of atms about & they're generally reliable but its best to be prepared.

If you intend using your credit or debit card make sure you let your bank/card provider know you're going abroad so they don't decline any "unusual transactions"

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to pay and how much

Hi we also didn't know what to do but decided on taking Euros. We didn't have any problems but we always hire a safe. It was great - kept track of what we were spending and didn't have to look for a cash point. To be honest the only time I saw anyone pay with a card was in our hotel, someone paying for a trip and even then the rep had to go outside and hold the chip & pin machine up in the air to get a reception! Lol. Also, we are a family of 4 and we spent £2000 in two weeks. Enjoy - its a beautiful place and I can't wait to go back.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to pay and how much

Thanks everyone, we will take cash and hire a safe, taking the credit card just in case

As usual great advice on here, thanks

Lewes, East Sussex...
Level Contributor
55 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to pay and how much

We load a travel card in the UK (there's always someone running a special offer on exchange rates) and then draw it as needed from the ATM's to pay cash everywhere. If you get a card with no fees then no different from taking a whole load of cash, but much easier and safer. We get two cards on the same account to reduce the risk of not being able to access the account if we lost the card.

Get answers to your questions about Alykanas
Recent Conversations