We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Ferry from Killini to kephalonia

Littlehampton...
7 posts
Save Topic
Car Ferry from Killini to kephalonia

We booked a car in athens and intend to travel to kephalonia on 18 May where we are meeting our friends in the evening. We are picking our car from Athens airport at about 7 am so I excpect we could leave by 9 am. I looked at various websites for ferry times and destinations but I can not find anything regarding departure to Kephalonia from PeloponesusThey all come out that the route is unavaliable. I belive the Kephalonians are not trapped on their island till summer. Can anyone help Please.

Ionio Cruises & Yacht Charters
Boat Tours, Boat Hire, Speed Boats Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours
Port of Killini
Marinas, Bodies of Water
Taxi Araxos Airport & Kyllini Port
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
10 replies to this topic
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,703 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Ferry from Killini to kephalonia

Just to check - do you have permission from the hire company for ferry travel? Without it you could be denied boarding or find the insurance is invalid. Hope you won't mind me mentioning this but others have been caught out on this.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,983 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Ferry from Killini to kephalonia

There are daily ferries, but it may be that you are trying too soon, they don't usually release times & booking very far ahead. At the moment there are 2 Ionian Ferries a day, 8.15 & 18.30, to Poros, takes about an hour & half. Keep checking, the times & frequency may change by the dates you want to travel.

Very good point about the car. Some companies don't allow them on ferries at all, others charge extra, but even ones that do allow it, charging or not, require that you inform them when booking & obtain confirmation that it will be acceptable. It is a fact that you can't take it without their express permission in writing, & the ferry will check this when you try to board. I have actually seen this at Killini, we live a couple of hours away & had gone up to get the ferry to Zakynthos to vsit a friend. A gentleman got very irate when questioned & he hadn't told the hire company, nor got the relevant permission :(

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,983 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Ferry from Killini to kephalonia

Just a question, are you going to be spending all your time on Kefalonia & only be on the mainland for getting back & forth to Athens airport? If so I would seriously reconsider hiring a car in Athens & only doing so on the island.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,715 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Ferry from Killini to kephalonia

Well said Yiassas!

Hi pikapolonca,

That is a very good point about getting to Kefalonia. Especially as car hire in Kefalonia is quite cheap especially in May. Look at companies such as Pefanis or Greekstones or Venus car hire. There are other equally reliable car hire companies on the island. You would also get there a lot quicker.

Where are you meeting your friends on Kef? If it is for example Lassi, then if you caught the afternoon ferry into Poros, you would have a 90 mins drive, mainly in the dark, on roads without street lights,that, whilst they are good, wind through the hills.

Littlehampton...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Ferry from Killini to kephalonia

thank you, I heard about that before and the agent confirm that I can take the car on the ferry to Kephalonia

Littlehampton...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Ferry from Killini to kephalonia

thank you all for information. We plan to stay on kephfalonia in Lassi for 4 days and then travel 3 days back to athens around Peloponesus,

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,703 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Ferry from Killini to kephalonia

That is good to hear. So many do not check & then are left fuming on the quayside or travel not realising they are uninsured! Others may read this thread & find it very useful.

benidorm
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Ferry from Killini to kephalonia

http://www.ionianferries.gr/

Timetable only seems to go to end of March at the moment on the English page, but later on the Greek page.

Return passage for car is a hefty €89.60.

Littlehampton...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Ferry from Killini to kephalonia

When I was looking for the information on car rentals I came over this advise to check with the rental companiesif you can take a car on the ferry. I booked with 121 and when I contact them they never heard that you might need approval of rental company. they contact their partner Olympic autos and they approved for the car to be taken on the ferry.

Littlehampton...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Ferry from Killini to kephalonia

Did not expect such a price but since this is my only holiday and I like the freedom to explore it is worth paying. Do you know if it would be better to travel from Patras? Do I have to buy ferry ticket before I travel to make sure I get a place on the ferry and do you know if I can pay for it on the website. Thank you very much to anyuone who send their advise.

Reply to: Car Ferry from Killini to kephalonia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kyllini