We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches with no pebbles in the sea or sand?

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beaches with no pebbles in the sea or sand?

We will be staying in the Istron area in September.

I have read about the beaches on line. They look beautiful but most of them seem to have pebbles in the sea which are difficult for me. Please can anyone recommend beaches in the area (we will hire a car for all our stay) which don't have pebbles in the sea (and ideally not many on the beach too)?

17 replies to this topic
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,172 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beaches with no pebbles in the sea or sand?

Hi again

You are going to be spoilt for choice for tavernas in the area, we aren't vegetarians, but often find ourselves eating no meat at all....without even noticing, as there are such excellent vegetarian choices available.

Sorry if you are already aware of this way of eating..... but when eating out I would suggest that you eat Meze style rather than a starter and a main course, this tends to be the way the local eat, so you order perhaps 5/6 small plates of food that you share, the tavernas bring the food as its cooked, so as they say in Crete " slowly, slowly".

A wonderful village to visit with an excellent taverna is the village of Monastiraki, which is located just off the road that leads to Ierapetra, from Istro is around a 10 min drive, the village is stunning, and the small tavern has some amazing views too... its run by a lovely guy called Yannis, like many village tavernas they don't have menus, they just let you know what they have cooked that day :-) so as you drive into the village you will see a small parking area, pull over and park there, and the tavern is just around the corner..

Here is a web site link to a guest house in the village, but the photos on this site give you an idea of the place

www.monastirakivillage.gr/eng_location.html

You could also visit Maria cantina on Karavostasi beach in Istro, its best to visit here in the evening when its full of locals, although as vegetarians you may be stuck with Greek salad, Bread and chips, as she tends to have a very limited menu, with her speciality being Souvlaki (pork or chicken)

If you don't mind a drive in to the town of Agios Nikolaos then I would recommend the wonderful taverna of Paradosiako - which is I think one of the best tavernas that I have eaten in...the food is excellent, again a meze style taverna, and if you check on the menu you will see the huge choices available

paradosiako-crete.com/paradosiako-agios-niko…

There is of course the village of Krista to visit which is located a 10km or so from Agios Nikolaos, but this can be very touristy especially in the high season with lots of tour buses stopping off..so stop off early if you fancy visiting here

explorecrete.com/crete-east/EN-kritsa.html

If you do visit Kritsa, and you don't mind driving up some fairly narrow roads, then there is a beautiful circular drive from Kritsa, head towards the village Kroustas and you drive thorough this pretty village...just follow the road, and it comes out back in the village of Istro

Another larger village is Neapolis, there is a lovely square with a pretty church too so well worth a visit..

cretanbeaches.com/Information/…

If I can be of any further help then do just ask :-)

Edited: 01 May 2015, 15:35
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
26,583 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Beaches with no pebbles in the sea or sand?

We love wandering round the lovely mountain village of Kritsa and have visited about 4 or 5 times for a wander and a bit of shopping. There are also a couple of nice tavernas with great views. If you do go then read up about the daughter of Kritsa and the house where she lived with her father who was a priest can still be seen. If you drive through Kritsa you can also tale the mountain road up to the Katharo Plateau which is really quite stunning. For an idea of Kritsa and Katharo have a look at https:/…

p.s. Also worth visiting near Kritsa is the ancient ruined city of Lato. Just turn right as you enter the village and follow the road to the end which is about 4km.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,583 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Beaches with no pebbles in the sea or sand?

p.p.s. Not a village but quite atmospheric is the Moni Faneromeni with it's church built in to a cave. Just head out of Istron a couple of KM's towards the site of Gournia and look for the sign on your left. The road then doubles back over the highway and up the hill to the Moni. As well as being atmospheric the views back down the bay and beyond are fantastic tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g189414-…

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,583 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beaches with no pebbles in the sea or sand?

p.p.p.s. :-) There are also some photo's of Kritsa in this album after spending a day at Istron we popped in on the way back to Sissi for a bit of shopping and a taverna with a view :-) https:/…

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,583 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Beaches with no pebbles in the sea or sand?

p.p.p.p.s haha :-) If you are in the area of the working town of Neapolis then a lovely drive is to Lastsida (with a great Souvlaki shop) and then on to Kounali which has a great taverna. From Kounali, Milatos Cave is only a KM or so away.

Or if you stay on the National Highway and turn right (about ten minutes from Neapolis) just before Moni St George in the Selinari Gorge to head up to the lovely atmospheric mountain village of Vrahassi which also has a traditional Cretan House that you can look round. For an idea of Kounali and Vrahassi I have a few snaps on https:/… https:/… and https:/…

Edited: 01 May 2015, 20:31
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,172 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Beaches with no pebbles in the sea or sand?

Hi again

Have a look at this lovely video of Agios and the surrounding areas including the beaches in Istro to give you an idea of what to expect

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sgb-Cny14Q0

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,583 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Beaches with no pebbles in the sea or sand?

I am sure you will have no problems with Vegetarian food in Crete as there are some fabulous dishes. Stuffed vine leaves (Dolmades), Stuffed zuchini flowers, gemista, fava, briam, cheese pies are just some of the highlights.......and posting this is making me hungry :-)

Reply to: Beaches with no pebbles in the sea or sand?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Istron
Recent Conversations