We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card use in Anaxos

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Credit card use in Anaxos

I've been told by several people to take cash to Anaxos rather than use the Pre-paid credit card from our Travel Agent. Trouble is our insurance only covers us for £700 cash and we obviously need more than that for a family of 4 for 2 weeks.

can anyone clarity the situation of shops/bars/restaurants etc taking or not taking credit cards.

Any advice great accepted

Thanks

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,210 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card use in Anaxos

Most places will prefer you to pay in cash. As transactions are not going to be huge for meals, drinks etc then the cost of processing plastic just is not worthwhile to many businesses. A business which takes plastic will incur some of all of the following

1. an annual charge for the facility

2. a monthly minimum fee even if they take very few transactions. They will still have to pay this minimum if they take nothing at all & in the winter this is highly probable scenario as Greeks tend to be a cash society.

3. %age commission charged on every transaction - this depends on the type of card you use - some attract premium rates.

They also have the risk of fraudulent use of stolen cards etc etc. Cash is a pretty safe bet & they then have the cash in hands to do their OWN purchasing of goods & services from suppliers who may not take plastic or give credit facility.

Best to check with any eatery before you order as to whether they will take plastic. Just use your card to obtain cash from an ATM when you are running low.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card use in Anaxos

'Just use your card to obtain cash from an ATM when you are running low.' I totally agree with Tsipouro here! It's worth pointing out, though, that the card you use in the ATMs should be your debit card, rather than a credit card, as the charges for using those are much higher. And you need to inform your bank that you'll be using the debit card, otherwise it'll be blocked as soon as 'irregular activity' on your account is spotted. I keep seeing references to 'prepaid cards' - is there some advantage in using those - if you can find places that will accept them? Sounds like the 'nanny society' to me!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,018 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card use in Anaxos

The "prepaid cards" are a new product developed to make more money out of travellers. In Australia, they are pushed with grossly misleading advertising.

uk
Level Contributor
384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card use in Anaxos

The supermarket Stavros (i think thats what its called) takes cards

its the last one on the road to the beach where the lakis studios are

they also sell very drinkable wine for 1.7 euros a litre from the tap

fresh olives and feta

Petra and Molivos both have atm machines anaxos does'nt

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
843 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit card use in Anaxos

Hi Everyone

We recently visited Petra and there are 3 or 4 ATMs there. Trouble is you need the right debit card unless you want to end up paying 3 or 4 per cent in charges. We used to have Nationwide but they have started charging. We now have National and Provincial which is free to use abroad in ATMs and for purchases. Martyn Lewis's website 'Money Saving Expert' has advice on which cards are cheapest.

The minimarkets in Petra do not accept cards and I don't think many of the tavernas do either.

I think if Jusandco is staying in Anaxos there is a good chance he will be visiting Petra or Molyvos and he could draw some cash from the ATMs there. Draw the maximum allowed then it will keep you going for a few days.As the earlier poster said. you may need to inform your bank.

Cheers, Jean

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit card use in Anaxos

Thanks for all your replies. We've decided to take majority in cash to be on safe side

7. Re: Credit card use in Anaxos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Anaxos
Recent Conversations