We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The dreaded mossies

Windermere
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The dreaded mossies

Hi to all the good folk out there....

I know many of you will have answered quieries regarding mossies before, however it would be good if I could open up a thread and get some possible new answers or tips....hopefully...

I do get bitten when in Greece, once I suffered badly, and although it didn't ruin my holiday it did make it less enjoyable...SO...

(a) A month before we go I start taking Vitamin B with Thiamin...relatively cheap and available at Holland and Barret

(b) We take the plug ins for use in our room...however when you leave the room often there is a remeovable key which turnes the electricity off, but we use it through the night

(c) I buy and wear the "Dont bite me patches"...available on line through Amazon

(d) I go to my local golf shop (I don't play) and buy and wear the plastic bands available....also available from Amazon

(e) Then there are the myriad of sprays and lotions available...I use those with Deet in them...beware of eyes or cuts and of getting it on man made fibres. Also we use Skin So Soft as after shower lotion, it contains a citrus base

(f) We use the mosquito coils...again from Amazon, often cheaper than anywhere else

One thing I've heard about is that some tavernas burn coffee...is it a special coffee or can anyone do it? Does it work...?

I know I may seem like a "mossie mad finatic"...but we wait so long and save for our "Greek fix", that I just don't want to take any chances....any and all tips and help will be most welcome...

Thanks in anticipation from MrM99 in Windermere where it's chucking it down!

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The dreaded mossies

Hi.......Well what works for me is

Avon Skin so Soft Dry Oil Spray (Original) (Bikers use it up in your part of the country because it also works for midges. It is not a girly small lol)

A non drowsy one a day Tesco antihistamine tablet for duration of holiday.

A small tune of 1% hydrocortisone cream for stray bites

Small pump action insect repellent for under tables in the evening

Usual plug ins

Long trousers and long sleeved shirts for the evenings and usual precautions about not having lights on and door/windows open..

What is new for me ( discovered by accident last year) is Vosene all in one nit repellent shampoo and conditioner.

It doesn't smell of anything nasty,is a great shampoo and does seem to disuade biting things from flying around your head.

These measures seem to give an all over protection. Believe me if there was one square inch of me left unprotected, they would find it. Grrr.

PS It is like a biblical flood down here in the Dales at the moment. :O( :O(

Edited: 26 April 2012, 09:54
Windermere
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The dreaded mossies

Hi Creteaholic

Thanks for such a speedy reply....very interesting, and good stuff to think about. I hope when I'm in Anaxos in August they're not going to be too bad!

Shame about the weather...and The Dales and The Lakes are wonderful, however they are not God's Own Country...are they?!

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The dreaded mossies

The Bands attract them to you then they zap you before they die, second the avon skin so soft dry oil it works for me sat amongst lots of locals last time out they were getting bothered big time i had one sting in a fortnight, i have also rubbed a fresh lemon on my skin the initial feeling is sticky horid but that wears off quickly it is also good for dry and flakey skin but shower it off before you go to your bed .

Leeds
Level Contributor
46 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The dreaded mossies

Hi MrM99,

Raining in Leeds at the moment too. Can I recomend something called Mosquito Milk - usually sold in a roll-on form. we've been using it for 15+ years and it really does seem to work - unless I'm just very lucky - or not particularly tasty to the old mos. I don't see it in the shops anymore and we usually buy ours on line - just put Mosquito Milk into Google and seewhere it goes.

All the best.

Neil

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The dreaded mossies

Be careful with the patches - after a fortnight, I became allergic to the adhesive and had a horrible, itchy raised patch for months afterwards.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The dreaded mossies

I've been told that Napalm works quite well !!!!!

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The dreaded mossies

Oooer !!!!

I dont advise anyone to use it on Lesvos though !!!

but it beats Avon skin so soft hands down ...

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The dreaded mossies

Trouble is it melts your hands off. lol

Naas, Ireland
Level Contributor
174 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The dreaded mossies

Someone on a previous post suggested rubbing Ouzo on your arms and legs to keep them away as it had worked for them.

So buy a bottle,use a quarter of it externally and the rest internally and see if that works.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The dreaded mossies

We are going in May,will there be many mozzies around at this time of year,does anybody know.

Get answers to your questions about Anaxos
Recent Conversations