We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook slow

Which Anaxos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
109 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook slow

Just been on the TC site and the PP is not on there for any 14 day holidays! Is it too early for next years holidays to appear. There are only two hotels in Anaxos on there for 14 nights, Anaxos Gardens and Nautilus. Any ideas or insider knowledge?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook slow

This has been discussed many times - TC has deliberately not got some properties online for 14 nights. But you can get a price in store or over the phone. I can only assume they are hoping to sell the places for a week and get more money.

London
Level Contributor
589 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook slow

rtj70 is right. We booked for next June a year in advance by going into a TC shop (and got a great deal!) for two weeks at the PP. Told that the 2nd edition of their brochure hadn't been issued but not too sure if that was right.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook slow

Hi there

If you look at brochures, or online, if a week's stay is for example £400, the second week is often only a little more, maybe an extra £50. So, from TC's point of view, the maths are simple, 2 x 1 week is way more lucrative than 1 x two weeks.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook slow

Another example... the Haris is about £830 for a week at the start of May next year. Two weeks it's £200 more at the moment. Last year the same holiday cost £700 for two weeks.

I assume they are hoping to sell the week long version of the holidays.

But if you think of this as a production line (or a multi-stage CPU pipeline), once you have a full set of people out there initially you can keep more people out there overall if you stay for two weeks. It would take the first two weeks to get it all going. Everything overlaps with the flights in terms of capacity. And more people might mean more revenue for the expensive TC trips. You just need to assume things scale back at the end to get everyone back on the last flights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook slow

Just to add to the advice to go into the shop. Lesbos does seem to be the main place where this is happening. The agencies are the same price as the holidays are online, so no worries that you'd be paying more money by booking in the shop. You could ask them to compare the one week price for peace of mind that they're the same price. :-)

Wolverhampton
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook slow

Totally agree , and then you can also get the "personal touch" IF anything should go wrong . Booking over the website is fine but I find that having a person as a point of contact is better .......

Level Contributor
109 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook slow

Conversation I had with an online TC person, excuse the spelling mistakes.

Hi, my name is Grace and I will be assisting you today.

[Danny] Hi Grace

[Grace] Hi Danny. Thank you for choosing to chat with us today.

[Danny] I am looking to book 2 weeks at the plaza palace in anaxos Lesbos for 14 nights but it is not brining up any holidays for that duration around 19/07/2014.

[Grace] I understand Danny.

[Danny] Why is that?

[Danny] ?

[Grace] Please bear in mind that our holidays are subject to change and availability. Holidays can get sold out depending on the interested to the particular resort, hotel, flight times, room types, etc.

[Grace] What I can advise is that you check regularly as we receive deals several times a day from our suppliers and deals get uploaded every day.

[Danny] Looking at some forum comments on trip advisor a couple of people have already booked next year holiday in the same report in store so the holidays must be available but why are they not on line? The holiday I am after is also in next years summer brochure.

[Grace] Our deals online and in store are the same. There is no guarantee that if a deal was available yesterday or some time ago for your desired criteria that it will be available again after several days or even in the same day. Prices can fluctuate all the time as well as our holidays are subject to availability.

[Grace] There may have been a lot of interest towards this particular hotel, holiday duration and that is why I advise checking regularly because it can come up available again.

[Danny] So what you are saying is that you are releasing a room at a time for the hotel I am interested in which is bound to sell quickly. This is instead of releasing all of the rooms?

[Danny] How many rooms are available for the two weeks that I have mentioned?

Grace] I can only check the listing with the room type which is on our website and I can double check the deal but I am not provided with the list with the number of available rooms Danny. You can contact with our travel advisors on 0844 879 8400 (Monday - Sunday 8am - 10pm) as they can consult about this and contact the hotel directly for you.

[Grace] As to the previous query - we have a contract with the hotelier about the particular room types and the available room types can be seen on the accommodation page where the listing is.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook slow

To avoid paying for a call (TC travel agents are no longer free to call) I tried an online chat. Got as useful a response as this. So I emailed my TC shop and they called me back. Price was as I said above. About £300 more for two weeks than last year for the same holiday.

Level Contributor
109 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas Cook slow

Thanks rtj70. Have prices gone up that much? I take it it is for two or more of you travelling? Will have to go into a TC store at the weekend to see what the score is before I decide. If the prices have increased by that much then I think Anaxos and surrounding area will be even quieter than the previous two years. I thought this year was quieter than the year before. Both trips taken in July. Might have to have a rethink.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas Cook slow

Thomas Cook.com use a slightly different system to the shops at the moment - I believe they're in the process of fully integrating them. The shops use a version of viewdata. There are the odd hotels here and there where the shops have availability and not online but they are a very few and far between. Lesvos seems to be the main culprit. If the prices are the same you might as well go in the shop and do it. At least you get to "speak" to a real person face to face.

Get answers to your questions about Anaxos
Recent Conversations