We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wasps

kent
Level Contributor
69 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
wasps

I am planning on going to AAGH next summer, now i have read lots and lots about the wasps. I understand there will be wasps anywhere but i really have a bad phobia of them, its embarrassing cos i literally nearly have a panic attack even in this country.

Is it really that bad or can anyone say a better month to go where less? I know that it is silly but i am really scared.

Thanks

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wasps

They tend to be at their peak in September as the fruit ripens. We always go July and have seen a few knocking about but they are not aggresive and I've never been stung, just ignore them. So go June/July and you will be fine!!

Edited: 06 October 2010, 18:13
Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wasps

Hi there,I'm scared of wasps also,but they won't put me off going to my fav island.....I go July/Aug and as Ziggy says,they are there,but not as bad as Sept.We visited AG for day this year and had lovely meal at Sebastians taverna and really weren't troubled at all by them.I just ignore them now and must admit was stung once on bum in Sidari many yrs back,but that was my fault as I was flapping around like an idiot which irritates them and ended up sitting on it.I have never seen hordes of them in all my yrs of visiting and thats the truth and I wouldn't take my kids either if there were loads.Have a great holiday in Corfu.....

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: wasps

If you really have a panic attack at the sight of one wasp, then I'm afraid Corfu isn't for you - June, July, August or September.

If, however, you can control yourself enough to ignore the occasional wasp until it flies away, June and July should be fine. We were there in mid August, and although there were wasps about, we were never seriously bothered.

kent
Level Contributor
69 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wasps

thank you, we were thinking about maybe the end of May next year, so by the sounds of it they are not as bad then...i really do panic and i know it is stupid cos i have actually only ever been stung twice, but a phobia is a phobia! I love Greece and have been to other islands with no real problem- so will maybe give this a go early on in the year

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wasps

I was there this September and the wasps were nowhere as bad as previous years.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: wasps

Depends what other islands you've been to and when. Corfu is the northernmost island in Greece - this means cooler weather, more rain, more vegetation and more creepy crawlies and flying insects that on any other island. Mosquitoes too.

Make sure end of May is the right weather for you. If you're hoping for hot and dry, you may have to rethink.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wasps

May is a fantastic time to go, wild flowers in bloom, fire flys in the olive groves and not too many people, unlike August when the Greek and Italians invade the island!.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wasps

Check this link out for the weather history on Corfu. This shows May 2010 and from 22nd May its 80 degrees plus and NO rain.

wunderground.com/weatherstation/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wasps

Hey and welcome cd1Kent:-) Having been to Corfu end May, can wholeheartedly agree w/ziggysboy here..it's a wonderful time..but do note that most of the 'lush' green isles like Corfu (which is the northernmost isle in the Ionian)..Thasos and Samothraki about as North as it gets for isles in the Country..these isles do tend to attract more flying creatures! I was in Skopelos in Sept which is extremely green/lush and it did have an unusual high amount of bees/wasps, especially after some major rain at the beginning of the month which thankfully lasted only a day! Just something you have to deal with..and for the most part, if you ignore them, they'll do same;-) Have fun..and EnjoY!

Corfu
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wasps

Hi, well I live here in Corfu and can recommend that you come end of May and during June, when the weather is (usually) great and the wasps have not arrived! They are attracted by the ripe fruit during August and September, so I think you should be ok early in the summer. Also buy some greek coffee and put it in a small ashtray/dish and set light to it...the wasps hate it and disappear within a couple of minutes.....this is something that you can take anywhere with you :-)

Get answers to your questions about Agios Gordios
Recent Conversations