We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average Taxi Fare from Gamboa Resort to Miraflores Visitor

New Hope PA
4 posts
Save Topic
Average Taxi Fare from Gamboa Resort to Miraflores Visitor

Can anyone tell me what the taxi fare is from Gamboa Resort to Miraflores Visitor Center?

And to Amador???

I'd like to stay at this resort, but I'm wondering how practical it is.

I appreciate your advice!

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Average Taxi Fare from Gamboa Resort to Miraflores Visitor

Unless you are into birding, and looking at alot of rain forest, it is way out in the middle of nowhere - and you will have to eat the food there (no other restaurants in the area). The food is marginal at best. I would surely stay in the city and visit Gamboa for monkey island tours and others, but I would never stay there. I have tired to eat there twice - horrid experiences. Not worth it IMHO.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Average Taxi Fare from Gamboa Resort to Miraflores Visitor

I'm also curious about the taxi fare from the Gamboa to the Amador. I'm already booked at the Gamoba. Anyone know the fare?

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Average Taxi Fare from Gamboa Resort to Miraflores Visitor

The problem will be you will be at the mercy of the "hotel" taxis - they operate under a different licence and therefore their prices are a lot higher than the standard street taxis - I think it's about $25 from Gamboa to the city so probably $30 to Amador - even though it's not really any further but they will make like it is.

Cheers,

Andrew

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Average Taxi Fare from Gamboa Resort to Miraflores Visitor

Thanks. Well I guess I don't really have a choice, but still by Toronto standards, I can't really complain about a $30 cab ride. So I guess I should expect to pay a bit less from Panama City back to the resort, since I won't be at the mercy of the resort??

New Hope PA
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Average Taxi Fare from Gamboa Resort to Miraflores Visitor

Andrew,

Thank you for your comments. Did you stay @ Gamboa Resort? If so, please share your opinion.

We are a family of 3 traveling to PTY. Our first stop will be PTY for 3 nights, and then flying up to Bocas.

We enjoy nature, rather than city life - therefore considering Gamboa Resort.

ectnewhope

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
228 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Average Taxi Fare from Gamboa Resort to Miraflores Visitor

Regarding taxi fare-- I checked my journal from our trip last year--- though not your exact destination, this may give you an idea--- we took a taxi from La Estancia (near Albrook Domestic Airport, so a little closer into the city than Miraflores Locks area) to Gamboa for $27. The driver was nice and had a car in good condition, so we took his card, as he said he would take us for $40 from Gamboa to the International Airport(on the other side of the city) a couple of days later-- we could never get him to return our call to confirm a pick up time, so had Gamboa call us a taxi for the return, which charged $50 ($10 more, but he came, and it was a newish small SUV). So I guess the moral of the story is--- I would not plan to stay in Gamboa if you are going to do a lot of day trips into PC as this could start to add up. Maybe stay in PC to do things there, and move on to Gamboa for nature activities if you don't want to stay in the city. We enjoyed our 3 days in Gamboa, but it is pricey for some things-- you can click my user name and find my review if interested.

7. Re: Average Taxi Fare from Gamboa Resort to Miraflores Visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Gamboa
Recent Conversations