We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new cut ?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Topic
new cut ?

In 1977 before US gave the Panamanians back their property I viewed ships pass below a viewing area at the Calabura Cut. So close were the ships we could hear the sailors talking aboard the ships. Are there any tours which take you to the new cut to be opened soon? Allen

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new cut ?

The Culebra Cut has been widened at least twice since you saw it. The new locks are still in construction, but there is no activity, presently, on the cut itself. The best place to see it is from the Centenial Bridge. You can look right down the cut. Unfortunately, you can't stop on the bridge.

There is a road and a short trail near Summit Park that ends near the crest of the eastern side of the cut where you can look down on the ships going by. Is that the viewing area you're taking about? It's not well known. I was taken there by a couple of Zonian friends. I'm not sure if it survived the last widening or if it is still accessible.

The best place to see the massive new locks construction is at Gatun.

2. Re: new cut ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2017, 03:17