We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring Mergui Archipelago

San Francisco...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Exploring Mergui Archipelago

We are couple wanting to explore the Mergui archipelago freely without having be part of a pre-arranged travel tour or a liveaboard diving group. Is it possible to hire a local fisherman & his boat along with services of local guide from Kawthaung into the archipelago for a flexible period of time? Is it possible/authorized to camp on the islands as we go?

22 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,305 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring Mergui Archipelago

I think the answers are No,No, and No but hopefully a local can update my thoughts.

Destination Expert
for Bagan
Level Contributor
560 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring Mergui Archipelago

Impossible to run freelance by fisherman's boat.

2 agents are running live onboard diving tours based in Kawthaung .

Asia Whale Travels

Mergui Princess Travels

and one of the hotel on island is;

Myanmar Andaman Resort

Free to visit nearest island around Myeik and Dawei.

Glendale, California
Level Contributor
125 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring Mergui Archipelago

There was an article about sailing the Mergui Archipelago in the NY Times Travel section this weekend. …nytimes.com/2013/03/17/travel/setting-sail-…

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring Mergui Archipelago

The best way to explore Mergui is via yacht. The area has virtually no tourism infrastructure, except for one small hotel, which is nice but could be just anywhere else. The islands are too far apart for kayaking. There are fishing boats, but believe me, you really would not want to live on them. Often there are 20-30 sailors on one boat, no toilets, no cabins,...

We went to Mergui 6 weeks ago with Burma Boating (www.burmaboating.com). Their yacht is based in Phuket, but will meet you anywhere you want.

The whole beauty of the region is that there is nothing going on at all. We stayed for about 2 weeks and didn't see any other tourists. All the 20-30 beaches we visited were empty, not one foot step in the sand. The local Moken villages are a real highlight, the people there live like hundreds of years go! It's a fantastic area!

Hua Hin, Thailand
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring Mergui Archipelago

It is difficult, but possible. The special entry permits to mid Mergui were lifted about two months ago. Still work to do to get a boat with a permit to take foreigners on board, etc.

We are setting up a GREEN PATH eco-expedition in Mergui Archipelago in 2014

Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploring Mergui Archipelago

Please Huahinmatkat can You give more information,if You have more,I'm just interested in the Moken people and traveling alone make no sense for me to book a tour that does different things.

What I need is a boat taking me around the Moken village and I dont care to sleep on the boat.

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploring Mergui Archipelago

The link didnt work... Do you arrange trips to mergui? I'd like some more information :)

Jackson, WY
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Exploring Mergui Archipelago

I am interested in your eco-expedition of Mergui Archipelago in 2014. Will this be set up by January or February of 2014? If so, can you please send me more information?

Edited: 09 November 2013, 06:11
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Exploring Mergui Archipelago

I am also looking to go on a boat trip through the Mergui archipelago for around 4 days at some stage in February. I am considering entering Myanmar through Ranong/Kawthaung and then travelling on to Yangon and around the northern parts of Burma either before or afterwards.

Please let me know what options might be available and whether this tour will be available in February 2014. I will be travelling with a friend.

Thank you for your help.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Exploring Mergui Archipelago

me too...please let me know....

Reply to: Exploring Mergui Archipelago
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Myeik (Mergui...
More Myeik (Mergui) Archipelago Topics