We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myeik/Mergui (new info in 2014 Lonely Planet)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
57 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Myeik/Mergui (new info in 2014 Lonely Planet)

Hi guys,

The new Lonely Planet (July 2014) dedicates quite a few pages on the Myeik area and the possibilities to go diving there. I understand the best way to see the archipelago is by liveaboard. Who has experience with this area, with joining a liveaboard and the condition of the dive sites? I have been searching this forum as well as other forums and internet pages, but the info is still limited.

By way of background: we have three weeks in Myanmar in December and we would like to do some diving. If it's going to be really difficult and/or expensive in Myanmar, we consider going to Thailand for the diving and spend 2-2,5 weeks in Myanmar.

Many thanks for your help!

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
806 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myeik/Mergui (new info in 2014 Lonely Planet)

From Phuket, there are many travel agencies offers yatch or cruises to Mergui but it is more expensive than from Kaw Thaung Myanmar.

Most of the time, you are asked to charter 1 cruise for you. There are only 1 agency with set departure, contact me by email if you want to know their contact.

I suggest you to try to contact some agencies in Yangon for further information.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Myeik/Mergui (new info in 2014 Lonely Planet)

AEC2013-

I have never done a liveaboard in Myamar but I hear you need special permission and I imagine it is going to be quite expensive. Don't know the safety standards, either, and that would certainly worry me.

I did a 3-day 2-night liveaboard in Thailand (SImilan Islands, with the Poseidon co.) a few years back and it was a very well-planned outing and very safe, and I had a fantastic time. Do know that it is necessary to get a travelers' insurance policy that will cover such activities just in case.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Myeik/Mergui (new info in 2014 Lonely Planet)

I have not experience on liveaboard in Myanmar. But I had worked in Horse shose island and Kyat Mauk Island as a officer at Swiftlet Bird Nest Company for about 2 years. I heard that Mergui Princess Cruise Company operate for scuba diving and snorkeling adventure trip in Mergui Archipelago which is base on Kawthaung.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
193 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Myeik/Mergui (new info in 2014 Lonely Planet)

we did a 5 day sailing trip in Jan 2014 and it was wonderful. Did not dive because no one else on board was interested but I think the sailing company can arrange for it. The company is Burma Boating. It was the highlight of our trip.

yangon
Destination Expert
for Bagan
Level Contributor
547 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Myeik/Mergui (new info in 2014 Lonely Planet)

Asia Whales run the regular and private dive and snookerling trips with dive masters.

www.asiawhale.com

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
57 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Myeik/Mergui (new info in 2014 Lonely Planet)

Thanks everyone!

Marseille, France
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Myeik/Mergui (new info in 2014 Lonely Planet)

The Smiling Seahorse is a new company (3 years) based in Ranong, on the border with Myanmar. They run in average 4 dive cruises every month during the season in Mergui Archipelago.

Check Trip Advisor for reviews of the boat and cruises.

more info: www.thesmilingseahorse.com

8. Re: Myeik/Mergui (new info in 2014 Lonely Planet)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Myeik (Mergui...
More Myeik (Mergui) Archipelago Topics