We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bacteria in cuba

nbuttari
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
bacteria in cuba

Let me start this review off by stating my girlfriend and I had the best time ever!! The staff is unbelievable and make your vacation one to remember. I did have one question that I am hoping people can help us out with. We have gone to Cameleon for the last 2 years and every year my girlfriend gets sick. She has a low imune system from a current illness and can be prone easily to illness. The first week of vacation, we see no signs of illness but by the second weel the symptoms begin with violent vomitting, diareha followed by a horrible bladder infection and ending with a sore throat. It is like she is consumed with a bacteria that tales over her body. Does anyone else experience this and is there medication you can take prior to going that could stop this?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bacteria in cuba

I think you answered your own question... Since she unfortunately, "... has a low immune system from a current illness and can be prone easily to illness..." then she's obviously going to have a very difficult time venturing outside her home environment.

She needs to get her immune system up and running again before her body will accept trips to environments where everything is foreign.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bacteria in cuba

I really think that no one on this board can give you an health advise like this, especially if she has other health issues. She should go see her doctor and ask for his advice and recommandations. And if someone comes back from a trip and is sick like that, they should go see their doctor immediatly.

EDITED: That, or what Martian said! ;-)

Edited: 07 March 2010, 20:20
Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bacteria in cuba

I have a low immune system as well (transplant patient) but haven't traveled yet since my transplant. I never even thought about not going. My aunt has had a transplant for 20 yrs. and just came back from Africa - they travel all the time.

Has your girlfriends dr. said anything about not going? She really should ask. Now I'm really curious and will be asking about this myself.

There is bacteria everywhere. Hand washing is crucial, not drinking the water etc.

whatever she had sounds awful!

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
775 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bacteria in cuba

I agree with the others that it is difficult to give medical advice on a forum like this. Being susceptible to picking up nasty bugs when traveling, I decided several years ago to try taking Dukoral, an oral vaccine that protects against ecoli and other bacteria that can be picked up while traveling. I have had great success with this and always get a prescription from my doctor before any trip. Your girlfriend might want to talk to her doctor about this vaccine if her problem is not serious!

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bacteria in cuba

Much good advice given here on this post. I would definitely discuss the situation with a Dr. and inquire about the Dukoral vaccine and also taking Acidophilus daily before going as well as during your trip. I find that both help me when I'm travelling. Good Luck.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: bacteria in cuba

The only thing I would recommend is that you also seek someone who has tropical med knowledge. There may be an immune issue but there are paracites and other elements like Ciguatera Fish Poisoning that while not specific to Cuba that are found in torpical fish that can appear like your friend's symptoms.

7. Re: bacteria in cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz del Norte
Recent Conversations