We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to Cuba! Breezes Jibacoa or Blau Varadero

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Topic
First timer to Cuba! Breezes Jibacoa or Blau Varadero

Hello everyone, I'm needing help in making a decision as to which resort to stay at in the beginning of June for 1 week. So far the 2 resorts that we are considering are the Breezes Jibacoa or Blau Varadero.

1) What is the weather like in June, also is it cool in the evenings?

2) Is there a fridge in all of the rooms?

3) What is supplied in the fridge?

4) Do they have diet cola or pepsi?

5) Will there be jelly fish at the beginning of June?

6) Are there any places close by to go to outside of the resort?

7) How long is the bus tour into Havana?

8) Are there different tours into Havana? One that includes the Tropicana show and one that is a daytime trip?

9) What are the costs for the bus tours into Havana?

10) Any suggestions as to the pro or cons of either resort?

Thank you so much for your help.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer to Cuba! Breezes Jibacoa or Blau Varadero

Have not been to the Blau Varadero but have been to the BJ, so will try to answer some of your questions

June can be quite hot with some thunder showers, I found Cuba hot in the evening in June however, that is me and I would recommend that you take a sweater as there are no guarantees when it comes to weather.

There is a fridge in the room, can't remember what it was stocked with.

Again no comment about Jelly fish, that all depend on weather and currents.

Yes for sure there are tours to Havana from the BJ, many people do share cab's or, make deals with the Staff who work at the resort.

I think it is about 90 min from the BJ to Havana.

I am sure there are others who can provide you with more details. The BJ was the first hotel and trip that we had to Cuba, so it is kind of a special place in my heart. If you like to snorkle then you will be in heaven for sure.

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer to Cuba! Breezes Jibacoa or Blau Varadero

We have never stayed at the Blau but have stayed at Breezes numerous times...

The Blau is on the Varadero strip, Breezes is 70km west of Varadero towards Havana, basically in the middle of nowhere. So for that reason not much to do off the resort at Breezes as there is only one other hotel, farms and a number of Cuban campismos (holiday cottages for Cubans) nearby. The closest town of any size is Santa Cruz del Norte about 12km away.

Jellyfish tend to be around at Breezes if there have been prolonged onshore winds from the northeast, it tends to be windier in the winter months than the summer ones.

June will be quite warm and humid, average minimum temp. probably around 21C, so not that cool in the evenings unless there's a strong wind.

There is a fridge in all of the rooms, in the cabinet that the TV is on. It used to be that they were stocked with bottled water on arrival and then not restocked but I hear that has changed. Apparently there is now a card you can leave indicating whether you would like water/juice/pop stocked in your room fridge each day.

I'm not a cola drinker but I've never seen Pepsi or Coke brands in Cuba, they have Tucola which is a Cuban cola, not sure about diet.

Breezes is only about an hour drive to Havana, from Varadero it's about 2 hours.

There are lots of options for trips into Havana, daytrips, day + Tropicana, overnight, I can't tell you anymore as we have never done an organized bus tour, we just do our own thing when we decide to go to Havana.

A pro of Breezes may not seem like one for many, but it is for us. It's in the middle of nowhere so very laid back, because you are not on a resort strip you are much more likely to experience what life is truly like in Cuba just by wandering up the road by the resort in either direction than you would in Varadero. A con for many is that there aren't any other hotels/clubs/restaurants close by (but that's a pro for some people).

Have fun planning your trip!

The Great White...
Level Contributor
993 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer to Cuba! Breezes Jibacoa or Blau Varadero

I've been to Breezes Jibacoa twice (4 weeks) and Blau once (1week). Pro's and Con's....The beach is better for swimming at Blau but better for snorkling at Jibacoa.

Blau is close to the hustle and bustle of Varadero...Jibacoa is half way between Varadero and Havana in a quiet area.

Blau is larger and newer...but Jibacoa is smaller and cosier. I liked the food better at Jibacoa (but its been a few years since I was there) I've always found diet drinks hard to find in Cuba.

I would pick Blau if you want to be near the action, the bars, and the restuarants ...or...Jibacoa, if you want to relax and be in an area that is more like the real Cuba.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer to Cuba! Breezes Jibacoa or Blau Varadero

Before worrying about details like what kind of pop they have you need to first look at the big picture and realize that you're comparing two utterly different properties with almost nothing in common.

1.) Blau Varadero is over a dozen stories high with almost 400 rooms. It has 5 restaurants and 3 other bars/cafes. It's in Varadero, a Cuban town of almost 10,000 local residents who have serviced millions of tourists. With that many tourists there's obviously a lively off-resort nightlife with a myriad of restaurant, bar, nightclub, etc. choices.

2.) Breezes Jibacoa has only 250 rooms in 2 story blocks. It has a buffet and a couple of restaurants. It's in an isolated location in the middle of nowhere half way between Varadero and Havana.

This will give you an ideas of excursions and prices out of Varadero:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147275-c60658/Varade…

Cheers,

Terry

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer to Cuba! Breezes Jibacoa or Blau Varadero

Thanks so much for the info, anyone else with suggestions, ideas or hints please send them along, it is all greatly appreciated.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer to Cuba! Breezes Jibacoa or Blau Varadero

I have been to SBJ several times. I like the smaller size as everything is a short walk. I bring my own snorkel and fins so I don't have to worry about returning to the dive hut at 5:00pm. The snorkeling is fantastic. I bring my own large drink cup. less trips to the beach bar. I gain weight every time I visit Jibacoa, the food is that good. The fridges have water, you can refill at any bar easy enough. A taxi or bus tour ride to Havana or Varadero is about an hour each way. SBJ is in the middle. Visit Havana. Bus I think was 50 cuc. each person. Taxi is 90cuc up to 4 adults. (I did see a van taxi, not sure the price of that one). If your up for it a scooter tour is cheap and an easy way to visit Santa Cruz del Norte and the big bridge for a pina colada. If you decide on SBJ and have more questions maybe I can help.

Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer to Cuba! Breezes Jibacoa or Blau Varadero

Hi there

Blau has children. BJ is adults only!

8. Re: First timer to Cuba! Breezes Jibacoa or Blau Varadero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz del Norte
Recent Conversations