We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to visit Havana?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to visit Havana?

I'm going to Breezes Jibacoa January 4th and just wondering from those of you who have been, what is the best way to go to Havana? Taxi or bus? And what parts of Havana are a must see?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to visit Havana?

Personally, I would self tour: Hire a taxi for the day and tell him what you'd like to see - this was our choice.

Our driver - a lawyer - spoke very good english and knew Havana inside out.

This tour requires a little preparation on your part. I used the Frommer's website to figure out what I wanted to see. There are also maps there that you can print. Our driver took us wherever we wanted and waited for our next stop right where he dropped us off.

If you do decide to do this, for Old Havana you will be greeted at the common drop off point by several street hustlers wanting to guide you or take you around in a carriage or whatever. Just ask your driver to show you where you are on the map and start walking. Once you get past these guys, it's smooth sailing and relatively easy to find your way around.

I have several pictures posted on my profile.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to visit Havana?

I'll second taking a taxi for your own tour. You can have the cab stay with you for the day, show you around & bring you back OR have him drop you off, head out on your own and meet at a certain place when you're ready. Cost is approx $85 - $100 CUC.

The moon guides website has lots of great info, and accurate maps too.

moon.com/destinations/…sights-habana-vieja

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
143 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to visit Havana?

The first time we went to Havana we did an organized tour just to get our feet wet... A couple of days later we hired a cab ($90) and toured inside the Capitol building, went to the Cemetary and across the river to the old Fort. This time, armed with books and maps, we piggybacked in on a tour bus ($30 CUC pp), got dropped off, arranged a time to meet back at the market, then struck out on our own. This time we went to the Revolutionary Museum, walked down Calle Obispo, went to the top of the Parc Central Hotel and took some fabulous pictures, walked past the Capitol building into Chinatown, took a cab back to Revolution Square and went to the top of the observation tower. The next time we go, we plan on doing the piggyback again but this time take the "hop on hop off" tour bus found by Central Park near the Capitol building - apparently, there are 4 routes, you pay a flat rate of $5 for the day, when you see something you want to explore further you hop off then hop back on when you're done... lots of options but definately do some research and reading so you're seeing things that really interest you... have fun!!

4. Re: Best way to visit Havana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz del Norte
Recent Conversations