We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally Booked Breezes Jibacoa for April 25.

PEI Canada
Level Contributor
192 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Finally Booked Breezes Jibacoa for April 25.

Had a wonderful time last spring in holguin, so we decided we would try cuba again with some friends.

I do have a few questions if anyone seems to have some answers.

The girls coming on the trip are concerned about using their curling irons and straitners. Does this resort have converters in the rooms to accept our north american style recepatle (110V). If they do, do all rooms have them, or just some of them.

Oh the money issue. I have heard the ATM is 14km away so we will all take canadian cash with us. Last year we lost 14c to the dollar to be converted to CUC . I do understand we can convert at both the airport and at the front desk. I also heard that at the airport they like to short change people as well.?. Does anyone know if these statments a re true.

I don't plan on using my visa unless i have too. Has anyone used a CIBC visa down in cuba lately?. Have any problems?.

Any help would be appreciated

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally Booked Breezes Jibacoa for April 25.

Hi there,

I'm going to Breezes Jibacoa in April as well. As far I have been told they do have 110V outlets, but might be to safe to bring a converter just in case.

I know I was at the resort next door last year , and they had 110V & 220V. I say let your hair go wild, your in paradise relax and be free ;)

The money, I have been to Cuba twice and always changed my money at the hotel, they will except Canadian.I'll admit I'm not one who pays much attention with exchange rates but never felt that I was taken advantage of and I was always told you got better rates at the hotel and I just changed it as I needed it. I am not sure of ATM'S I wouldn't bother with them If they do have them. They will except Visa, my friend had to use her's last year (TD Visa) but I forget for what.

This is a nice secluded area in the country and is very relaxing. The snorkeling is great. A nature lover will love this location over popular places like Varadero.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Victoria BC
Level Contributor
960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally Booked Breezes Jibacoa for April 25.

Hi Spudster,

don't count on a Canadian debit card working anywhere in Cuba, even if you can find an ATM in a smaller town like Santa Cruz del Norte (which is about 14km from Jibacoa), best to take cash. You can change it at the airport or resort, the difference in the exchange rate between the two for the amount of money you are likely to convert is minute. If you are worried about being short changed count the money you are given in front of the clerk at the exchange counter and ask for a receipt, it tends to keep people honest.

CIBC Visa works fine in Cuba, at least it did when we were there in May, I doubt that has changed.

Voltage at Breezes is 220 but with the same plug configuration as in Canada. Converters are provided by the hotel if requested. Flat irons/hair straighteners should not be used with a converter, the use and care sheet for them usually states that if used with a converter it will cause them to melt, it's best to buy a cheap dual voltage one if you absolutely have to straighten your hair..but the humidity will likely make short work of you best effort. :-)

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally Booked Breezes Jibacoa for April 25.

No problem with a CIBC Visa, I have used mine on several trips.

Exchange at the airport is straightforward, just count what you are given and be sure to check it against the receipt.

:)

PEI Canada
Level Contributor
192 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally Booked Breezes Jibacoa for April 25.

Hey thanks for alll the great informative replys.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
288 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finally Booked Breezes Jibacoa for April 25.

Just got back from BJ a couple of weeks ago and the Front Desk actually provides a better exchange rate than the cadeca at Varadero airport. We landed at the same time as three other large international flights and the line up at the Varadero airport cadeca was so long I decided to give it a pass and take my chances on the rates at the resort. I was surprised and delighted to find them actually slightly better. They were also very good about providing smaller denominations (much easier for tipping).

My CIBC visa worked just fine, although the only thing I used it for was a couple of excursions. I took enough cash to handle the incidentals. I wouldn't plan on being able to use an ATM.

On the issue of electrics, there are blow dryers in every room although they might not be of the power your friends are used to.

Most hair appliances actually work on both 110 and 220 voltage. If you read the fine print on them, it will provide that information. If your hair appliance says something like 110/240 or 110/220 on it, it will be fine and there is no need for an adapter to plug it in -- it will fit Cuban wall sockets. The same is true for camera battery rechargers, iPods, etc. I plugged all of mine directly into the wall with no ill effects.

There is a transformer in each room right by the safe in the closet. The location makes it a bit awkward if you have to use it for things like hair appliances. Because I didn't bring anything that didn't have dual voltage, I never had to use it.

Can't speak to the other poster who suggested you might fry your appliance by using a transformer. But I do agree that the humidity in Cuba makes the curling/straightening effort a waste of time. You're back to your "au natural" hair in minutes regardless of how hard you work the appliances. Suggest to your friends that they plan to just chill and enjoy themselves. Use the time spent fixing their hair to drink a mojito (or three)!

Have fun.... it's a great place.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
London, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finally Booked Breezes Jibacoa for April 25.

You will enjoy Breezes We have been there 5 times already and reurning in the fall for 17 days.We always make sure we have canadian cash with us and make sure they are newer bills with no markes or tears because if they are they will not take them.Just make sure you count your money when they give it to you and get a paper recipt and compare.Breezes have always given me one.Ialways do change money at the airport so I have some right away as the exchange is only open from about 930 to 33o with a lunch break so if you need money keep that in mind.Some people claim unless you tips service is not as good but we have never found that that makes any diff.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finally Booked Breezes Jibacoa for April 25.

Could you please let me know what you think of Breezes in comparison to villas camaleon next door.We have been to Breezes 5 times already but I would like to know if maybe we could take a cheaper vacation to Camaleon instead.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finally Booked Breezes Jibacoa for April 25.

I will let you know what I think of the 2, I don't go to Breezes until April 20th though. I would imagine Breezes is just a little more comfortable and has more selection in the food & some alcohols if I had to guess.

To sum the up the cameleon, it's like staying a an older clean summer cottage or summer camp for adults. The rooms are spacious & clean, the beds so so for comfort, the food basic, but not bad. The drinks were good and the staff fantastic and the grounds lovely.

I stayed at the Serinis la Salina in Varadero as well and that's a 4.5 star and I would go to Cameleon again over that resort.

It's the area I love, and I think if you saved a significant amount of money vs what you pay at Breezes, I personally don't think you would not regret going to the Cameleon, because you know the area and beach all ready.

I will return to Cameleon, and I am trying Breezes because I was out voted by my family on which resort to try.

Hope that helps you make a choice sooner! Thought I'd give my 2 cents :)

Mentioned in this post
London, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finally Booked Breezes Jibacoa for April 25.

thanks a lot.Like I said we have been to Breezes 5 times already(witch means next trip free)and we do love it there but sometimes we would just like something cheaper.We love the people in the area a have a lot of friends nearby so we like to go that area.I hope that you find the food better Im sure you will but its only ok .

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
785 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finally Booked Breezes Jibacoa for April 25.

We were at CVJ last January and loved it. We saw a great price for a week at Beezes in June and went for it. After being to both places we have decided we prefer CVJ. Breezes is definitely a step up with regard to the resort and the food but we much preferred the smaller, more welcoming style of CVJ.

Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz del Norte
Recent Conversations