We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animals at the resort

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
Animals at the resort

This topic has come up on the Facebook page and wondered what how the folks that post on this site see this topic.

What happened is someone put up a picture of a dog at the resort and a number of poster put up how they feed the animals. Then there were suggestions as to how to feed them away from the resort and concerns about how the staff treat the animals.

I know this can be a touchy subject and I love animals and honestly can't say that I haven't fed them. However the last time we were at the BJib we had a long conversation with a few staff members who quite honestly explained that these animals are seen essentially as vermin by them. They aren't pets like we see them at home.

They can't often afford to feed these animals and they become pests around the resort, so every so often they are rounded up and removed to a place further away so they won't return.

He let us know that we weren't doing the animals any favor by feeding them. Often the animals get sick on the food (something we have seen) as people feed them so much.

Since then we haven't fed animals at the resorts we have been to and plan to stick to that when we arrive at the Breezes in January.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Animals at the resort

By the way, here is a practical reason why dogs shouldn't be on beaches that are shared with humans:

http://www.dr-dan.com/hookworm.htm

Why dogs are kept off of beaches?

Hookworm larvae love warm, damp, sandy soil! If a Hookworm infested dog deficates on a beach the eggs soon hatch and the larvae enter the sand. When a human lies on such a spot the Hookworm larva can penetrate the intact skin just as it happens in the dog or cat. Since we are an unnatural host, the larva never make it to the intestine to become blood-sucking adults. They just move around a bit under the skin, die and cause a nasty inflammatory reaction. The result? We get itchy little red bumps on our skin which may form scabs. In the old days, when houses had crawl spaces under them, the pets would often deficate under the house. When the plumber worked on the piping under the house he soon found little itchy bites all over his skin. For this reason, human infection is sometimes called the "plumbers itch". Other names include "creeping eruption" or the more scientific name "cutaneous larva migrans". A good reason for keeping dogs off beaches and out of sand boxes and gardening areas.

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Animals at the resort

Feeding the animals at a resort is a huge issue with me for all the obvious reasons. I am working still on my husband to stop this practice because I don't think they are that cute and that we need to feed the animals or worse yet, bring them in rooms ! ack. (he would be sleeping on the beach if ever a cat came in my room). On a positive note though, my husband has finally agreed to stop the gifting practice.....soooo there is hope to get him to stop feeding the cats. TA has educated me wisely.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jibacoa
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Animals at the resort

Several years ago there was a dog who was brought to Toronto by a BJ guest. I think the dogs name was Chico. It was a huge thread and many people were involved in the dog's travel.

I find it very hard to see the kittens and puppies at BJ. I travel to BJ twice a year and never see the same dogs...their lives are very short and yes I am guilty of feeding them and I don't intend to stop.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Animals at the resort

Hola

Did not see a kitten or cat last trip. The dogs have seen everytrip, and they are the same guys over and over again. One of the larger ones did bite a guy who was feeding him....hope he had his shots.

Have seen people bring cats and dogs into the rooms....hope the fleas had a good time with them...

One dog last year was going to Montreal, this was in late Oct....what a shock he got that winter..lol.

cheers.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Animals at the resort

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/2263060248/ this is a link to the Facebook page for the Breezes Jibocoa it is interesting the two different perspectives on this issue. There are so many who do feel strongly on both sides....

In the end I believe it is the animals who suffer from our well meaning intentions, and will not be feeding them again on our travels.

There are plenty of animals here at home that need taking care of or good homes put your efforts where you can do some good.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jibacoa
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Animals at the resort

Just returned from BJ and the cats are all gone but lots of tiny lizards. The dogs are different from our April visit. The dogs look very young, very thin and have skin problems. Despite all this they had very sweet temperments.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Animals at the resort

This was a huge turnoff for me at Club Amigo Mayanabo and Caracol. I could not believe how many people were feeding them.

You would leave and you would have 8 to 10 cats going around your legs meowing like mad.

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Animals at the resort

There is an organization called APAC-Varadero that is largely supported by tourists that does rescues from resorts, spaying and neutering campaigns, and education for Cubans on humane animal treatment. They have also been involved in many adoptions by Canadians. They are on Facebook if interested.

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Animals at the resort

Sorry I hope the above comment did not sound condescending. My first TA post and I wasn't quick enough with the editing... APAC Varadero is, I believe run by Cuban veterinarians who wish to better the lot of animals in Cuba and welcomes support from tourists and concerned individuals. I think they primarily host free spay/ neuter clinics and do facilitate rescues when there is someone willing to adopt the rescued animal. I think the work they are doing is fabulous and wanted to share this info if others wanted to get involved.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Animals at the resort

Here is a clip from a recent review on CVJ about the dogs at that resort. I would imagine that they have already been “culled” and probably not humanely. It boggles my mind that some people don’t “get” that dogs & cats on resorts aren’t pets.

“We were VERY pleased with the fact that the hotel was home to a 24/7 Doctor (actually the region's Chief Medical Officer) after my wife got bitten/attacked by one of the many stray dogs that frequent the beach and hotel grounds. The dog had just given birth and, we guess, was just protecting her young....but by simply walking along a pathway to our room/cottage... the dog bit my wife's ankle... drew blood from the 4 puncture wounds and she sprained her ankle in fighting off the attack. The medical care and concern on behalf of the Hotel Manager and the Director of PR were outstanding. The Manager came to personally express his concern on his Sunday day-off. The doctor had to go into Havana to pick up the Rabies shots. The hotel picked up about 70% of the medical bill (which was appreciated as the dogs are not the hotel's...as a matter of fact they tried to rid themselves of the strays but "The Canadian's" put up such a fuss on TripAdvisor etc that they relented and left the dogs alone). All we can say is DO NOT FEED THE DOGS.... and watch out for them..... They are strays. They forage for food in the garbage and are fed scraps by the tourists. They are not clean... they may not be rabid but they are dirty and can cause infection if you are bitten.”

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g1172156-d609… - CHECK_RATES_CONT

Can you imagine if that was a small child that was attacked instead of an adult??? (Not that it’s acceptable for an adult to be bitten by a dog on a resort). Once again, tourists do whatever they want to do with no regard for the impact of their actions on others.

Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz del Norte
Recent Conversations