We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Trinidad

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip to Trinidad

Hi there... has anyone done the day trip to Trinidad from Breezes Jibacoa? If so, what is included in the trip... sights, cost, etc...? Is it something that could be done relatively easily on your own with a private taxi?

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Trinidad

It's probably around 320km from Breezes to Trinidad. I know there is a "city tour" that's available, I think they do Santa Clara, Cienfuegos and Trinidad all in one very long day, which to me is ridiculous.

I'm positive that if you talk to some of the private taxis that park up at the top of the driveway you will be able to work out a day trip to Trinidad for a reasonable cost.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Trinidad

In my opinion it's a really dumb 1 day excursion from Jibacoa, Varadero or for that matter from anywhere on the north coast. The round trip is very, very long and you're only in Trinidad a short time, just long enough to get the tourist shuffle through a couple of markets.

Trinidad is a fabulous little town and it gets a totally different vibe after all the tour buses have left.

If you want a completely different experience than Jibacoa, Varadero, Havana, etc. then make it a overnight trip. Trinidad has some of the best casa particulars (Cuban version of s bed & breakfast) and paladars (private restaurants) on the entire island.

Cheers,

Terry

Edited: 07 December 2011, 20:31
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Trinidad

I would only do Trinidad for 2-3 days, In one day you won't get to see much especially with all the travel involved.

Edited: 07 December 2011, 20:33
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Trinidad

"... In my opinion it's a really dumb 1 day excursion..."

======================

By that I (of course) meant that it's a dumb excursion for the resort to offer, nothing to do with you personally.

My English not it's good so.

Cheers,

Terry

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Trinidad

Funny, I was gonna say Trinidad for a day is kind of pointless, and I honestly don't know why Virgin does the 3 cities tour in a day..all you would have time to do is look out of the bus window as you drove though :-P

We met someone who was doing that tour a couple of years ago and I fully expected them to be gone for 2 or 3 days, I was absolutely floored when they said they'd be back late the same night.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Trinidad

Whoo-eee that would be more driving than anything! I LOVE Trinidad, but for the length of the drive vs the time you'd get to spend there, it is not worth it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Trinidad

Thanks, everyone. I didn't realize how far away it was from Jibacoa... it really doesn't sound like it would be a very pleasant way to spend a day. Will have to get there on another trip, I guess.

Are there any recommendations for other trips leaving from Jibacoa? I've done the rum and cigar day trip to Havana, the catamaran dolphin/Cayo Blanco trip and the day trip to Matanzas, including the river ride and stop at the... zoo? I can't remember which others were offered and if they were worth the time/money.

Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Trinidad

I would suggest Havana again, but do it on your own this time, Get a taxi, but not as a guide, just as transport.

Old Havana can be very interesting if you just walk around aimlessly and wander down side streets. There are lots of interesting places that are not well marked from the outside. I was invited once into the only mosque in Havana. was given a tour of the prayer rooms, collections of carpets, etc. All because I stuck my nose in the door.

I love stopping and having coffee here and there in the morning and graduating to beer by noon for the rest of the day. Get a guide book when your at home, get a general idea of the layout of the city and then just experiment.

The guided tours from the resorts are ok once as an introductory but become very restrictive and confining once you start walking around.

Wolfville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Trinidad

When we took the tour to Havana the bus stopped for an hour at the Capitol building. We took off on our own and returned on time for the rest of the tour. After lunch we were given free time and market time and escaped again. We tipped a very nice well spoken English Cuban to take us around. A lot of walking, some running and some cold drinks in a local bar. China Town was an eye opener. Made it back to the bus with huge smiles on our faces. Had a blast. Hate regulated tours but good transport sometimes. When we go to Trinidad from Santa Maria we will be doing the same. Have been before so have seen all the tourist spots. There was a great bar we would like to return to. Hope we can find it! It was 20 yrs ago. We will hire a car if the price is comparable to the bus tour and if they are outside the resort.

10. Re: Day trip to Trinidad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2012, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz del Norte
Recent Conversations